Notices

Managing cheat days

Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Managing cheat days

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering how you all deal with "special indulgence" days. I'm looking at lifestyle as opposed to diet so I'm not looking to cut cake and doritos from my life. Do you do a day a week?

I'd love to hear what works for you!

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

I give myself 1 day a week.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:35 AM
FitDay Member

I don't do scheduled cheat days but I forgive myself quickly when I overeat and get right back at it. I sometimes give myself permission to overinduldge -- other times it just happens. Today is one of those days when it just had to be done! I'm now entering the damage however I needed the coke and chocolate badly today. Mary
Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

I think they're a great way to sabotage all the hard work you've done all week. For example you stay under 1400 calories all week and you lose a pound, then on the 'cheat day' you go to McDonalds or Taco Bell and pig out and then you gain 2 lbs. How is that serving your weight loss goals?

I think in order to work a 'cheat day' still needs to have a calorie limit at least even with or still under your calories burned.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rubystars
I think they're a great way to sabotage all the hard work you've done all week. For example you stay under 1400 calories all week and you lose a pound, then on the 'cheat day' you go to McDonalds or Taco Bell and pig out and then you gain 2 lbs. How is that serving your weight loss goals?

I think in order to work a 'cheat day' still needs to have a calorie limit at least even with or still under your calories burned.
My cheat days usually run 3,000-4,000 + calories. As long as I have 1 a week I'm fine. Many times the next day I'll see a significant drop in weight, unless I gorge on something salty. I haven't had McDonalds or Taco Bell in forever but my cheat days can be pretty rough.

Oops, sorry I didn't even realize that this was in the women's section. Keep in mind that works for me may not work for you or anyone.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-11-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone! I tend to my more lenient on the weekend provided my exercise gives me the leeway for those extra calories. I don't believe in any food being off limits. I'm going to Moxie's for drinks and apps tonight (where there is no nutritional information) so I'm aiming for moderation but a treat nonetheless.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
My cheat days usually run 3,000-4,000 + calories. As long as I have 1 a week I'm fine. Many times the next day I'll see a significant drop in weight, unless I gorge on something salty. I haven't had McDonalds or Taco Bell in forever but my cheat days can be pretty rough.
I think that's good if that works for you. I don't really think it would work for me though because if I ate 3000 calories I'm pretty sure I'd see a weight gain over the next couple of days. It's hard too because I really do like to eat. I don't really believe in astrology stuff but I sure do fit the Taurus stereotype to a T sometimes. lol If I allowed myself a 'cheat day', I'd be eating enchiladas and lasagna all day and would likely gain at least 4 pounds.

Oops, sorry I didn't even realize that this was in the women's section.
That's ok I don't mind. I want people to post wherever they feel they can contribute something.

Keep in mind that works for me may not work for you or anyone.
I think it's good that everyone can find something that works for them. One reason I keep pushing the fruits and vegetables thing is that I think that would work for almost everyone. I mean this morning for breakfast I had a plate of carrots and grape tomatoes cut in half and they tasted really good, the tomato juice from the tomatoes flavored the carrots and the carrots were crunchy and delicious and the tomatoes were flavorful and the calories were very small. I think that's something almost anyone could enjoy.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rubystars
I think that's something almost anyone could enjoy.
Just goes to show ya...and emphasizes the individuality of this whole process, but I can't think of anything I would want less for breakfast. I need protein in the morning, and a heftier dose of fiber.

I think it's great to give suggestions, but there is no "one size fits all." Especially with cheat days, and also with the idea of controlled treats versus never-pass-my-lips-again.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Just goes to show ya...and emphasizes the individuality of this whole process, but I can't think of anything I would want less for breakfast. I need protein in the morning, and a heftier dose of fiber.
You could always eat a vegetable omelette.

I think it's great to give suggestions, but there is no "one size fits all." Especially with cheat days, and also with the idea of controlled treats versus never-pass-my-lips-again.
Well I don't think of any food as never to be eaten again. If I did then I would probably get depressed. By no cheat days I mean if I eat something that's fatty/high calorie I would still log it and try to compensate by eating low calorie stuff the rest of the day.

An exception would be made for a day like Thanksgiving or Christmas but even on those days I'd probably try to log things the best I could just so I can know how much damage was done.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:56 PM
FitDay Member

I definitely couldn't get away with entire cheat days - I'd never lose, and I'd have to starve myself for the rest of the week. That being said, I'm 45 and female, so already fighting an uphill battle. I eat more on the weekends, but that's also when I get my good long runs in. I refuse to tell myself I CAN'T have any foods (or drinks!) but I need to make sure to plan around my indulgences. I don't want to gain back any of the weight I worked so hard to lose.
Hope this helps!
Enjoy your meal/app's, drinks, whatever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.