Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
My diet is making me a bit of a.... >

My diet is making me a bit of a....

Community
Notices

My diet is making me a bit of a....

Old 03-06-2010, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

mandab1: I completely understand your reaction. It's normal. You did so good not to give in and eat the forbidden fruit. I agree with what other ppl have said here and wanted to add that in addition to letting it go, learn from it by making a plan for next time or plan for there not being a next time if you can.

Like you, my husband doesn't eat the way I have to now (he doesn't have to diet and doesn't gain weight very fast...) and also he cooks and is into high fat processed foods . So I picked a couple of things that I can't be in the same room without eating (yeasty bread, pizza, Carl Jr's hamburgers, pastry/sweets) and so I asked him to eat out when he wanted these things and to never bring them into the house as a way to be supportive. Maybe you can ask your husband to avoid bringing in whatever foods are your hardest to avoid, too.

I found a cache of Little Debbie wrappers in the trash can of his home office the other day and tore up that room looking for some wrappers with the Little Debs still inside LOL. He had eaten them all. Good thing. He said he won't hide sweets in his office anymore, but I still don't go in there just in case. I still feel ashamed of myself for going through his desk drawers looking for a sugar fix and don't want that experience again.

I don't know how ppl with kids or uncooperative spouses do it, if I see certain foods in the house they're MINE! I still have no control with sugary pastry-like foods, yet. I hope this changes as I develop new eating habits, but for now, it's just how it is. I can avoid buying them but for some reason once they're in the house it's a whole 'nother story.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
FitDay Member

Ilikechocolate, I can't imagine what I would do if someone was doing to me what your roommate is doing to you! I don't understand why some people just can't be happy when someone they know is bettering themselves.

patti, some of your substitutions sound really good, that is something I will definitely have try.

desertmountain, luckily for me a don't have much of a sweet tooth but I go CRAZY for carbs! Yeast rolls and mashed potatoes are my biggest weakness, I could definitely see myself raiding a room for one of those two items!

My husband is very supportive but sometimes he just doesn't think things through. He now understands why I got so upset, and has agreed to be a little more supportive through his actions and not just words.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

It is wonderful when the folks we live with want to make it easier for us and are supportive. We can ask that they make changes, but not expect it. But I believe that there is always a way to do a reasonable compromise. desertmountain's advice is good about the "danger foods." Just don't even be around them if you can manage.

I have a 13 year old son. Obviously I'm not going to make him eat the way I do, but I want him to be healthy, too, so I make swaps if I can, like Patti was describing...baked potato chips and pretzels instead of the fatty snacks, lowfat frozen yogurt or regular yogurt instead of ice cream, angel food cake or sponge cake with fruit on special occasions as opposed to other more fatty and sugary goodies. Tonight we had burgers...but I used extra lean ground beef, whole wheat rolls, baked potato "fries". My whole meal was 450 calories, and I didn't feel deprived at all; in fact, I'm stuffed! My personal preference is to have actual meat as opposed to veggie burgers, but those are an option too if you like. Maybe you and your hubby could have a lean cut of steak like sirloin; eat your 3 oz. and then load up on the veggies. I know there is a book out there called something like "Simple Swaps"; that might help you compromise on dinners and snacks and things. Let us know how it goes and hang in there .
Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 AM
FitDay Member

Extra lean ground beef and fake baked french fries, I do that too! The family won't do whole wheat, I just skip the bun and grab a knife and fork. There's a good website for healthy recipes, Hungry Girl. The - is very important, hungrygirl.com is....less than G rated lol.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

OOO it made a link! lol
Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 PM
FitDay Member

Lizzy, thanks so much for the link. I did a little browsing and already found a few things I would like to try.

I would like to say again how happy I am that I finally found the forum, every one is so nice and supportive! Thanks to all!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 PM
FitDay Member

Yeah some people get jealous because they're scared that you'll be better than them or something, the dynamics of friendships and relationships can change when someone isn't the "healthier, fitter" one anymore. It's hard to deal with.

It's really hard in my house, i still live at home with mum, dad, 2 sisters and younger brother, so pretty much at dinner time and when i'm snacking at home, I just have to pick from what's in the house. my dad is really healthy, but my mum has really bad old habits when it comes to cooking, and it's so hard to get consistent healthy meals.