View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

I have eczema and have had it my whole life. As a little girl I had it behind my ears and sometimes on my hands, these days I get it on my scalp specifically on the back of my head just above my neck. 90% of children affected with eczema are allergic to milk protein, but it's slightly less in adults. So I would suggest you I would try a milk-free diet for a couple of weeks and see if that does anything to improve your skin. Atkins isn't a milk-free program so if milk protein is your issue, that diet won't help your skin. Gluten intolerance (not to be confused with wheat allergy) aka celiac disease actually affects the intestines, specifically the large intestines and causes symptoms more in line with vitamin deficiencies and/or distress through the GI track.

I would also suggest that you find a good allergist and get a skin prick test to see if you are allergic to any foods. The 8 most common food allergies are caused by peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, wheat, soy, dairy, shell fish and wheat. Those 8 foods comprise 85-90% of all allergic reactions. So you might consider an elimination diet to determine if any of those bother you in the mean time. The last time I did an elimination diet, I lost 12 pounds, so chances are it won't hurt your waistline. There are several web-sites dedicated to the ideology behind the elimination diet, just google it.

I hate to say this but most of the people that I know with gluten intolerance are rail thin, have constant GI issues and can't gain weight. So if you truly need to lose 25 lbs, you're not a likely candidate for celiac disease. Wheat allergy is actually a completely different type of thing. It's similar to other types of allergies although it's generally a lesser reaction because the reaction is based on how the body responds to protein, which wheat does not contain high amounts of.
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13

Last edited by almeeker; 08-07-2011 at 05:16 PM.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote