Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
How accurate is the base metabolism calculator? >

How accurate is the base metabolism calculator?

Community
Notices

How accurate is the base metabolism calculator?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default How accurate is the base metabolism calculator?

I have to think the number of calories is too high ... if I were really burning off calories at that rate, plus what I exercise, and minus the relatively healthy level of calories I'm taking in, I should be losing weight like crazy and this week I GAINED a pound!

Is anyone else finding this?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM
FitDay Member

This is a common problem that many have encountered on FitDay. I have found that the best solution is lowering your activity level a notch or two from reality and/or logging "sleep" as an activity each day. Use a few different "calorie calculators" online to get an idea for what your likely burn is and then use the settings on FitDay to match that estimate. Remember, it is not possible to figure out EXACTLY how many calories you burn a day using online tools. It is a complex measurement involving your individual metabolism, body composition, eating habits and activity level. All of these are more interconnected than they might seem at first glance and each day will be a little different. The idea is to get a rough estimate and go from there....
Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

I have mine at sedentary even though I get a lot of exercise at my job. I figure I'm getting a better estimate that way.