Notices

The dreaded leak!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default The dreaded leak!

OK I have been doing a boot camp workout since Nov 2010, which I love. What I don't love is the dribble everytime I do a jumping jack or a squat! I hate the poise pads, as they tend to shift during workout and as I get sweaty. (AZ in the summer is not for sissies!) Does anyone have ideas? Kegels aren't getting me anywhere and water deprivation is not an option out here.

Melissa

5'10"
165 lbs. 34% body fat
goal weight 145 or 25% body fat

Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know how old you are but have you talked to your OB about this issue?

When I was sick a few years back I coughed for about three months to the point that I dribbled when I coughed and I ended up talking to mine about it. Luckily the keegles worked for that time. But there are medications available.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Have you tried a daily dose of cranberries? I don't care for cranberry juice so I use dried cranberries, sugar free cranberry jello or a fruit juice blend like cran-razz. That little dribble can actually be symptomatic of a low grade UTI.

Last edited by almeeker; 08-04-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

lol....I assume you have had children?? They will do that to you everytime. I think Kegels would be the only thing to help with that unless you go on some meds for it. How often are you doing them? Its one of those things you have to work on everyday throughout the day to get them back in shape. I have no idea what you can use....have you tried just a regular thin pad?? They might stay better and they are pretty absorbant.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Haven't since it is only during exercise, coughing and sneezing don't cause it! It is only specific ones, too, I don't dribble during a jog! Will check with him next time I go.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM
FitDay Member

Yep- three and the last at 36. All BIG babies, too!
Regular thin pad doesn't work, medium poise pads contain but tend to slip as the adhesive and panties get wet from sweat!
Haven't been doing kegels daily, will add to my morning get out of bed routine (rotate ankles, point toes, wiggle toes, check that I am on the right side of the daisies!).
Old 08-04-2011, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

I had 3 kids in my 30's too, all 3 were average size (however I'm rather short so maybe the ratio is similar). Trust me on the cranberry juice, just a few ounces/day works wonders. Um, by the way, you gotta wiggle something other than your toes to do a proper kegel.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Um, by the way, you gotta wiggle something other than your toes to do a proper kegel.

But in all seriousness if you haven't been doing them daily, I would try that first. And the cranberry...I hadn't thought about that.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM
FitDay Member

Default other options . . .

I can't do jumping jacks during boot camp. Not because I dribble, but because when I do it makes me feel like I have to use the bathroom ASAP. So I do modified jumping jacks during our warm-up and that works for me: I move my arms normally jumping jack style but only move one of my legs at a time. I'm also wondering if you would feel comfortable talking to your boot camp instructor and see how she would suggest modifying your squat so you could get the most benefit from the exercise with the least side effects, so to speak.