Notices

Sugar and Alcohol labeling

Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Sugar and Alcohol labeling

New to this and confused that most consumer product labeling provides sugar details, but Fitday only provides opportunity to report alcohol - is it correct to report sugar as alcohol? I understand the connection in the chemistry realm - curious as to whether this is a simple one-to-one correlation between sugar and alcohol when it comes to nutrition
Old 01-04-2010, 05:15 AM
fitday_jim

Default Sugar is a carbohydrate

Sugar is actually a simple carbohydrate. If you are trying to create a custom food, then the sugar belongs in the carbohydrate section, not the alcohol section. This is how it will be reported on the nutrition label.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
FitDay Member

That is good to know. I love this site just what I needed to get me back on track.

During my 'creating custom food' process I realized that V8 (V-Fusion Strawberry Banana)46 fl oz(aka 1qt) seperates my Sugars from my carbohydrates .

Nut. facts from Label:

V8 V fusion Veg & fruit
---------------------------
8 fl oz serving size 1
Calories 120
Total Cabohydrates 28 mg 9% (% daily value)
Sugars 25 g

So is the 28 mg including the sugar 25 grms? or should I add 25 to 28 on my food log?

Personal Note: BTW any thing with tomato juice in it (aka Bloody Mary) i do not like so this is a BIG step for me to drink/enjoy V-8. Actually I LOVE the V-fusion and just want to report it correctly on my food log.

Last edited by Lynzatn; 01-04-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
fitday_jim

On nutrition labels, the sugar is already counted in the carbohydrates. It is just listed to break down the carbs into categories. You do not need to add them together.

The label is trying to say "this food has 28 grams of carbohydrate of which 25 grams are sugar."

I hope this helps!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
FitDay Member

So are the other three carbs considered starches or what?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mamasamad
So are the other three carbs considered starches or what?
It depends on the food. It could be fiber, could be some kind of complex carb or starch.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fitday_jim
Sugar is actually a simple carbohydrate. If you are trying to create a custom food, then the sugar belongs in the carbohydrate section, not the alcohol section. This is how it will be reported on the nutrition label.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Am I correctly reading here that I should not count the sugar extra when creating a custom food. I am new to this too, on my 4th day! I have wondered about not having the sugar listed on the food label, since I am prediabetic and really need to curb my sugar input, it is vitally important I get this correct. Please advise. Merci Beaucoup.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default Champagne

I was looking for a listing for Champagne, in particular Rose, but I saw none listed. Did I overlook it, does anyone know how to rate this?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Also confused about Alcohol listing

To get back to the original question in this thread;

[QUOTE=deebeemack;68]New to this and confused that most consumer product labeling provides sugar details, but Fitday only provides opportunity to report alcohol - is it correct to report sugar as alcohol?

If sugars should be listed as a break down element in total Carbohydrate, then why is Alcohol even listed in the Fitday Nutrition label for custom foods? I've looked at many food nutrition labels in my cupboard and refrigerator and can't find Alcohol listed. Even on fruit juices that actually through fermentation could have an Alcohol content....
Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

I am totally confused about the alcohol/sugar thing too - does anyone know about this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.