Thread: Juice Fast
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I did Intermittent Fasting for quite a long time (over a year) and liked it. I got the idea from another diet blog. Very little scientific background or advice other than 'try this,' which is, by the way, a very sketchy way to introduce someone to a drastic change.

However, it seemed safe enough. I didn't lose weight on it. It did prove to be a fairly healthful choice for me, though, because it gave me some insights about hunger and moderation. It also was a very stressful time in my life and my 'eating days' weren't managed properly. Compounded with a serious delusion that low-carbing was going to be successful (not!), I think I actually gained weight during that time. I certainly didn't lose.

The Intermittent Fasting schedule that worked for me was to start the fasting at 6 p.m. one night and fast (only coffee and water) until the next night at 6 p.m. Then, eat 'normally' for the next 6 p.m. to 6 p.m. period. Alternate. The beauty of this schedule is that you do spend 24 hours without food, having only plain coffee (or plain tea) or water. Get plenty of liquids! You also will have at least one meal a day.

The day that you start, you will have had at least one meal. Then, when you resume eating, the next day after 6 p.m., you will get in at least one meal. Every day, you get to eat one meal, at least. That's where the challenge is, if you are trying to lose weight. It's easy to see the fasting as an 'off/on' switch and overdo the times when you're 'allowed' to eat.

If you respect the calories involved (it all comes down to calories), then the 'on' times, when you are in an 'eating period,' you should just have meals, no snacks, and try not to overeat (no second helpings). The overall effect will be that your caloric intake averages out to be lower (and you lose weight) but not if you're doubling up on the food during your eating periods.

It was surprisingly easy for me. Better than that, it was nearly impossible for the people around me to detect that I was on a 'fast.' I am much better today at turning down food opportunities ('let's go out to dinner, lunch, breakfast,' 'have some of this,' 'there's leftover xyz in the fridge...') but with intermittent fasting, I always had at least one meal in the day. How I treated the meals was what made the difference, for better or worse!
Kathy13118 is offline   Reply With Quote