Notices

3-day postal accountability thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default 3-day postal accountability thread

I'm leaving today for a quick, 3-day get-away. My track record for staying on track on trips like this is poor, so I'm making a mini-thread to use to hold myself accountable. I'm going to check in each day to "prove" that I've held to my intentions.

This should be all kinds of healthy: I'll be able (and intend) to hike, bike and swim. And if storms come up, I'll have access to a gym on premises. I've got a kitchen and a good food plan, planning in a little healthy eating out, for fun. I won't have a scale, but will otherwise have all the tools I normally have for doing this, including access to fit day. I'm actually thinking of this as a mini fitness vacation.

So, nothing standing in my way except old, bad habits. "Falling off" badly when away from home has been such an issue in the past, that I've reclassified it as an "excuse". This is my attempt to deal with that.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

My family and I just got back from a trip to Disney World. My wife and I didn't do fantastic, but we did much better than we would have if we were not trying to get healthy.
I also have decided to use this site as a source of motivation. I will be checking in on you so you know there is at least one person watching.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

You are going to hate it and be miserable with yourslef if you fall off the wagon. A few minutes of having something taste good isn't worth it.

Plus you know how good you feel after a good workout when you've eaten right.

Don't let yourself down. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by boolz
This should be all kinds of healthy: I'll be able (and intend) to hike, bike and swim. And if storms come up, I'll have access to a gym on premises. I've got a kitchen and a good food plan, planning in a little healthy eating out, for fun. I won't have a scale, but will otherwise have all the tools I normally have for doing this, including access to fit day. I'm actually thinking of this as a mini fitness vacation.
Thinking of your 3-day get away as a mini-spa/fitness get away is a great way of dealing with "vacation syndrome" (I'm on vacation calories... don't count ) It is a great time to try some new healthy foods or eating patterns, like a different breakfast or splurging on a (not fried) seafood extravaganza.

You are doing so well boolz, don't allow yourself to get so hung up about food that you don't have fun. Stress is just another way of saying "fat is here to stay".
Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

So far, so good. Not perfect on eating, but not bad. And lots of good exercise, with more to come.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

A good plan to check in here. Extra accountability helps. Even saying outloud that you are going to do it helps. Enjoy the holiday. It's great to learn that life is fun without excess food. Mary
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

Not bad is better than cheeseburger and tater tots. At least your paying attention to it and getting the exercise.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I'm back, and I have to say, I didn't do nearly as well on the eating as I hoped/intended. I did fine on meals, but way too much snacking in the evening. Anonymous, internet accountability does not seem to be the magic bullet against my poor willpower. Who knew?

But, it's only two evenings, and it's info for another time. The three days of hiking/biking/swimming were still good. Thanks to those who checked in on me, though. I'd probably have done worse without it.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

An occasional few days "off" are not a problem and I wouldn't worry about them. It sounds like you did fine--had fun, got some exercise and didn't go totally nuts with the eating. Well done, IMHO. Log everything and get back on plan and in a few days you're losses will be right back on track.

Regards,
Michael