Notices

automated weight chart

Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
FitDay Member

Default automated weight chart

from the REPORTS section it is possible to see a chart that compares calories eaten / calories burned. This chart can be requested in multiple forms: 1 or 2 weeks, monthly, 2 months etc.

I do not understand why this information does not produce an automatically updated weight change chart. In the Reports section there is the Weight Graph I have entered start weight, goal weight and time frame for the loss. The dark blue line indicates my desired loss. The light blue line which is my actualjust stays right where it is, on my start weight.

I am not into weighing myself daily. But just as I can see a calories eaten/burned chart for different periods generated automatically from the site, why does this not translate into the weight-loss graph?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I'm not sure I'm following--are you periodically entering your updated weight info it's not showing on the graph?

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

I believe that glithery is not entering weight - "I am not into weighing myself daily." - but would like to see a "projected actual" sort of line based on calories eaten/burned (i.e. if the burn is ~1,000 per day because of entering food/activities) on top of the dark blue "goal line" without having to enter a weight.

That function doesn't exist as far as I know, though it's a neat idea.

Glithery - I'm not a mod, though if I had to guess I'd say that this probably doesn't happen because weight loss is never quite as specific as calories in/calories out (though that's the best guess there is if you're doing the math) and the chart is wanting your honest-to-goodness actual entered weight.

You can imagine that if it did a "projected weight loss" and people's weights didn't match up with the generated line, lots of people would be complaining about the software being stupid, malfunctioning, or just plain wrong. But when you're dealing with a biological system like your body, it's never an exact science, and FD doesn't want to guess wrong, I think
Old 07-22-2011, 03:01 AM
FitDay Premium Member

If that is the case, and you've figured out a more-or-less daily calorie deficit for yourself you could always pick a date, say December 31 and calculate what your deficit says you should be able to attain (using 3500 per pound of fat lost) and enter it is a "goal". The graph will show a straight line from the starting date to the goal date and you'll see what you "should" weigh along the line at different dates.

But, really, even with an accurate estimate and an accurate log of your calorie intake at best it will be somewhat "close". The human body does not always adhere to what the "math" says.

Oh, and I applaud you for not weighing all the time--once a week is certainly enough and longer isn't bad if you can go that long.

Regards,
Michael