Notices

TOTM tips

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM
FitDay Member

Default TOTM tips

So, totm seems to be the most difficult time for me during a month. there is usually 1 day i just stay in bed w a headache, just feeling awful. i usu just reach for crackers and bread, peanut butter, salty snacks, sometimes chocolate, etc. You get the idea - comfort carbs. I am ok w having a planned 'off' day during/beginning totm, but dont want that to turn into multiple days.

wondering if any of you gals are applying some successful strategies during your totm.
Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

Lots of water helps me. Also if I force myself to excercise it always helps the bloated and uncomfortable feeling. My TOTM used to be absolutely horrible, but I had surgery last summer, so its much better now. I still have awful cravings tho, and seems like no matter what I eat, I'm still not satisfied. It doesn't help that weight goes wonky, its discouraging. I always try to remember that at the end, I'm bound to drop a couple of pounds in retained water tho! Gives me something to look forward to.

Good luck! Dont give up!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

I have also been trying to drink plenty of water during that time. At least an extra 20 oz during the day. Seems like my TOTM affects me longer than it ever has before. With PMS starting at least 1-1/2 weeks before it actually "arrives".
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
I have also been trying to drink plenty of water during that time. At least an extra 20 oz during the day. Seems like my TOTM affects me longer than it ever has before. With PMS starting at least 1-1/2 weeks before it actually "arrives".

We are the same age, I wonder if the PMS gets worse around our age, I've noticed the same thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not sure Ashlie. I have noticed my PMS symptoms (crabby, air-headed, crampy) becoming worse since I got my tubes tied in 2007. Also my flow is heavier. I can honestly say that before having my tubes tied I don't know that I experienced any PMS and this just down right stinks. I had an IUD for five years prior to the tubal ligation but due to the IUD being poorly placed I was left with a lot of scar tissue on the walls of my uterus and not recommended to try to become pregnant again or it may result in miscarriage. I didn't want to take that risk considering I already have two wonderful children. I just wonder if the D&C that I had to have to remove the IUD spurred something on because it has been worse since then. I am actually leaning towards considering the cryo-ablasion (sp?) technique since I won't be having more babies.

Sorry if that is TMI
Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

I had the ablasion (sp) last summer, they also removed one of my tubes that was damaged and tied the other one. It helped soooo much with the flow problem I was having. (severe anemia) I'm so glad I did it. They told me there was an 85% chance I would stop having a cycle. I didn't, but I't so much better now. Recovery was easy, very little pain. It was a piece of cake, I have a tiny scar in my belly button.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default 33 too

Ashlie, i am 33 too. it has been worse 4 me in the past few yrs. when i was 20...they didnt phase me 1 bit.
I do tend to get just ravenous...like a bear.
All of you are touting extra water...so I will def try that in Aug.
Thank you for replying every1
Old 07-20-2011, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Don't go for chocolate, it's a migraine trigger! The important thing is to keep your blood sugar level, get enough to eat, avoid nausea (do you get that?), and of course not to go too far off your diet plan. Supplementing with magnesium may help, it's often helpful with menstrual headaches/migraines, and low magnesium is meant to be what triggers chocolate cravings. Stay well-hydrated, and see whether eating a small snack every 2-3 hours helps, it's a known treatment for PMS. Apart from the chocolate, the rest of what you eat doesn't sound too bad, considering how nasty menstrual headaches/migraines can be to deal with. Have you tried fresh-tasting foods at all? Sliced tomatoes sprinkled with salt, for instance? Basil can be a good herb for migraines. I like to put the essential oil on the burner, and to put fresh basil into salads or on pasta. Pasta with basil pesto is a nice easy meal when you're feeling rubbish, and you can do something like throw some frozen peas in two minutes before the pasta is cooked to make it more nutritious.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

Fruit is a wonderful way to eat something sweet with fewer calories. Try switching out your chocolates for fresh grapes or apples. For salty snacks a cucumber takes only a few minutes to wash, peel, slice, and salt, and celery tastes salty. If you need starchy carbs then eat them, but do it in a smart way one serving of goldfish crackers won't kill your diet, but you have to count out the crackers. Also you can count out a reasonable serving of pretzels. You could also have a microwaved sweet potato with a little low cal butter spray and some salt and pepper. I've heard bananas help some people with cramps (doesn't work for me, Advil does lol). If you just want to crunch on something for comfort while you watch tv why not eat an entire head of iceberg lettuce or have some carrots by your bed?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default more great tips thx gals!

i will def. give the magnesium supplement a try. i plan to read some about it online...like daily supplementation vs occasional.
I had also never heard about basil being used in the manner suggested, but am quite intrigued. All I have is dried basil at the moment, but it grows rather easily. I've been meaning to get around to an herb garden. Basil will be a member.
Fresh foods...love em, eat em, live em. Lately, we are processing vegetables constantly. Tomatoes...yes ma'am!! We grew a new kind for us this year that is just amazing...maybe my fav kind of tomato to date. (I have not yet had the privilege of trying an heirloom tomato). They are called Lemonboy tomatoes, which are yellow and less acidic than reg. tomatoes. They are more resistant to most pests and as a result, produce just a very pretty tomato. If you see these at a farmer's market..try 1.
I hadn't thought of eating a cucumber for a salty fix, but I really appreciate the suggestion. I hadn't really questioned why I am just turning to (processed) carbs for that, when I love cucumbers. One of our apple trees is doing quite nicely - fully loaded. I ate a green 1 the other day and I have 1 ripening on the window sill now. I plan on picking a couple dozen today for my mom, since she likes them green.

I came up with an idea for next month...and I think it began with the mention of including more fresh foods. I've been making soups lately...to deal with the bulk of produce. I do sometimes feel nauseous during totm, feel sick, and want saltines. Some of the veg. soups I have been making seem perfect for feeling bed ridden and maybe if I fill up on soup WITH crackers it will alleviate some of the ravenous tendencies during this time.

thanks again every1!!