What to do on vacation? >

What to do on vacation?

Community
Notices

What to do on vacation?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default What to do on vacation?

So throughout my day-to-day life, I have two main ways of burning calories: going to work, which is me being on my feet as opposed to sitting around watching Weeds or something, for hours a day, and/or working out. I watch what I eat, give myself the occasional chocolate or ice cream (or else I'd die), and so far so good. Well, I'm going on vacation for 10 days soon, with my beau. While I am excited for this, he likes to spoil me, and feed me, and take me out to eat, etc. And when I'm at his place, I usually don't do much. It's a little awkward to work out in front of his parents/him. Now, I know it's the whole "you're on vacation, blah blah blah", but I'm on vacation from WORK not from my exercise. The beach is easy, I like to swim! But what about those days I'm slumming around the house? What are your recommendations on vacation exercise?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Just get out and walk around. Site seeing can burn calories and the time will fly by. Play beach volleyball, tennis, swim (like you said), rent a jet ski, see if the place you are staying at has a gym. The sky's the limit.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 PM
FitDay Member

Perfect time for long walks on the beach. Are there bikes available? Plan lots of fun activities you can share -- a good chance to work on an active lifestyle together. Mary
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

Depending on where you'll be, rent a bike! You can spend the day exploring together or on your own. Take along a good summer novel, pack a picnic lunch. Or use one of those days for a meal out with your beau - bike to a good restaurant, enjoy the smaller lunch portions, knowing you'll be working some of it off. Bikes are a great way to see a new place. And if it's a new activity for you, vacation is the perfect time to try it, because you won't run into people you know!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'm third-ing the bike rental and walking. Walk everywhere you can - sight-see, spend time looking at knick-knack stores, walk a mile to see a museum, etc.

As for the food, just do the best you can. Try to make smart choices, and don't beat yourself up for treats.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Depends on where your going for vacation....
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM
FitDay Member

Try to get up in the morning and do some sort of exercise, walk, swim, bike, etc. first thing. When I do that then I feel proud of myself for accomplishing something and it makes it easier to eat better for the rest of the day. Of course, try to avoid the "I exercised so now I can eat more" mental game.

Once when visiting in-laws in the winter, I found a local gym that had a drop in rate. It was kind of expensive, but it was only a few days and I was on vacation. I would get up in the morning, drink a cup of coffee, have something small to eat and head to the gym where I would exercise, read magazines and then use their locker room to get myself dressed for the day. Then I could return home calm and ready to face the in-laws and food for the rest of the day.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rmdaly
Try to get up in the morning and do some sort of exercise, walk, swim, bike, etc. first thing. When I do that then I feel proud of myself for accomplishing something and it makes it easier to eat better for the rest of the day. Of course, try to avoid the "I exercised so now I can eat more" mental game.

Once when visiting in-laws in the winter, I found a local gym that had a drop in rate. It was kind of expensive, but it was only a few days and I was on vacation. I would get up in the morning, drink a cup of coffee, have something small to eat and head to the gym where I would exercise, read magazines and then use their locker room to get myself dressed for the day. Then I could return home calm and ready to face the in-laws and food for the rest of the day.
That was actually my plan: sneaking out for a run before people were up and doing tae bo when everyone was gone.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
FitDay Member

Default yeah, what they said

it sounds like you have a plan in regard to working out. I personally think alone time on the beach at sunrise is almost magical. I would def spend every morning walking/jogging along the shore. Just writing this fills me with envy. It should be such a wonderful trip!
My main pitfalls when vacationing aren't my physical activity... I am usually more active on vacation. It is the food that can sabotage my efforts. If we get to the beach this year, I plan on really paying attention to my portions and NOT just mindlessly eating. Alcohol can be absolutely devastating. 1 Fruity tropical drink can have as many calories as a meal. Know the caloric intake of the alcohol you're consuming.

By all means, have a great time!! From your post, it seems that you have been very dedicated to working out. What a fab reward!
Old 11-18-2022, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

I suppose that locating the company's phone number is not at all difficult. In our case, my parents made the decision to travel to Spain, therefore I purchased their tickets. However, they want to double-check everything, so they just googled the business name and discovered a phone number on the official website. When they contacted, a helpful woman answered and assured them that everything was fine and that they had reservations for business class flights to Madrid . I'm lucky, phew. I was extremely frightened because of my parents. I just want to thank you and say that it's simple to find a number.

Last edited by Hulabi; 11-20-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.