Notices

How to measure serving of pasta

Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default How to measure serving of pasta

For a 1 cup serving do I measure the pasta dry or cooked? Also (either way, but especially cooked) the pasta isn't going to settle into the measuring cup like say applesauce would and there will be a lot of calorie free airspace. Do I get an allowance for that and overflow the cup a bit or does the measurement already account for that?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi

I'd read the box and weigh it dry. By ounces is easier for me than filling cups.

What are you making? Got a good recipe?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default thank you

Thank's Shiba

I usually just make pasta, sauce and meatballs using organic whole wheat pasta. I generally cook the whole box and plan on leftovers but maybe I'll try cooking just a couple portions so I can weigh them out after they're cooked so in the future I'll know how much to dish out. I follow the Italian Meatball recipe from Joy of Cooking by Rombauer, for my sauce I use crushed tomatoes and add fresh garlic, oregano and black pepper ( i never use salt ).
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Normally the weighted/measured serving size for pasta/grains is dry, uncooked.

Check the label to see what it says.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

Pasta is one of those foods that makes me really guilty for enjoying- especially since that's my GF's signature dish to make.... homemade sauce with ground turkey...mmmmm.......but the evil pasta
All I think about is how long it's gonna take to work off those empty calories-I even got her to buy the whole wheat noodles and it still irks me
Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

sw07, my husband's mom's Italian...we couldn't give up pasta here if we tried. It's really not that bad for you. If you use the wheat noodles, you get a protein and fiber bump; just go heavy on the sauce and make it more like chili with some noodles in it, with a good dose of cheese on top

Taken altogether that way, it's really not empty calories!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I bought some brown rice pasta this week and will take it out for a drive this weekend...I will let you know what I think!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

I really try to stay away from pasta as much as possible as I think it is one of my "trigger" foods to over-eating. I really love pasta and I wish I could eat just a small portion without losing control.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default 2 oz dry equals 1 cup cooked

Originally Posted by Schilcott
For a 1 cup serving do I measure the pasta dry or cooked? Also (either way, but especially cooked) the pasta isn't going to settle into the measuring cup like say applesauce would and there will be a lot of calorie free airspace. Do I get an allowance for that and overflow the cup a bit or does the measurement already account for that?
2 oz dry = 1 cup cooked pasta
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default High Protein Pasta

Originally Posted by sw07
Pasta is one of those foods that makes me really guilty for enjoying- especially since that's my GF's signature dish to make.... homemade sauce with ground turkey...mmmmm.......but the evil pasta
All I think about is how long it's gonna take to work off those empty calories-I even got her to buy the whole wheat noodles and it still irks me
Pasta is not evil. And whole wheat pasta is awful. Barilla makes a Plus pasta that combines Several types of grains to make a high fiber, high protein pasta that tastes like regular pasta. (Cook it a minute or two longer than regular)

compare
Barilla 210 calories 38g carb 4g fiber 10g protein

Regular 210 42 2 7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.