Notices

Ahhh Weekends!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default Ahhh Weekends!

Ugh I hate weekend sometimes! I feel like it is so much harder to have control over what I eat or don't eat, because of the company that I keep. (Example: Skinny friends, high metabolisms)
Also weekends are difficult because the structure that I am used to throughout the week is compromised....

So the question dear friends, how can I make weekends easier when it comes to eating? (especially out) Any hints, tip and suggestions??
Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Plan ahead and stay busy!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM
FitDay Member

For me since I am doing a low calorie diet, I carry my calorie intake diary with me every where I go. This way I don't forget what I am taking in while out with friends and I also take my calorie book that has restaurants in it if I go out to eat (my boyfriend also has an app on his iTouch that has this too). I try to be busy and walk around or exercise more if I think I falling off of the diet a little.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

Drink water. Order water as your drink at the dinner. Drink a full glass before your meal arrives. This helps me to feel more full faster so that I can eat less of the meal that is brought out. I have also seen it suggested to immediately ask for a take home container and cut the meal in half and put half away before eating. That way it isn't on your plate for you to keep picking at as you are sitting there with it.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Drink water. Order water as your drink at the dinner. Drink a full glass before your meal arrives. This helps me to feel more full faster so that I can eat less of the meal that is brought out. I have also seen it suggested to immediately ask for a take home container and cut the meal in half and put half away before eating. That way it isn't on your plate for you to keep picking at as you are sitting there with it.
Smart suggestion, wildbeanerz. It takes a little practice, but with practice it can become a habit.

The other thing about weekends is you get to DO something other than what your boss wants you to do, so plan at least 1 outing over the weekend. A walk through a local park, a trip to a lake to swim and play, a pedal along bike trail, something that will keep you moving and away from the lure of fast food. Take water and maybe an appropriate snack. But keep the focus on the activity or destination.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

After 6 months on fitday weekends are getting a bit easier to control. I have found a lot of it is a state of mind. I used the weekend as an excuse to overeat or drink too many calories. I have stopped doing that and they are much better. I got fed up with gaining back what I had lost during the week.

Remind yourself of your goals, visualize what it will feel like on Monday to step on the scales, up 3 pounds, or the same or even down! This weekend my scales rewarded me for my dilligence.

If you fall off track, pick yourself up, and get back at it. Most of the gain will have disappeared after 3 days. Just ask yourself if you want to keep undermining your efforts each time temptation rises. Once you say NO it's easier to keep saying no. Mary
Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Mike about planning ahead. I find it easier to have an idea of what I'll have for meals and snacks on the weekend, similiar to how I plan meals/snacks during the week. It also helps to keep fruits and veggies pre-cut in the fridge. I'm more likely to grab celery than chips if the veggies are ready to eat!

And staying busy helps a lot. I eat out of boredom on the weekends so it helps me to get out of the house for the afternoon. I visit the library, plan to spend a few hours getting sun by the pool, just whatever keeps me out of the kitchen. When I'm just sitting around, I keep looking at the clock to see if it's time to be hungry yet so I have an excuse to eat. If it's been a couple hours since I late ate, I think I should be hungry and I let the clock dictate when I eat, as opposed to waiting until I'm actually hungry (regardless how much time has passed since my last meal/snack).

I also find that I like little treats more on the weekends, so I might splurge a little (calorie-wise) on a special meal for myself. For example, I'll make a homemade lower cal, lower fat mac n cheese or some potato soup. It's comfort food that takes a little while to make, thus keeping me occupied, and I control how much I make so I'm not at a restaurant staring at a double portion size with the temptation to eat it all.

When I go have plans to go out, I like to have input on the restaurant that is chosen and if you have time, check to see if they have a website with a menu. I'm much more likely to stick to healthy options if I have time beforehand to scrutinize the dishes. And you're more likely to cave to a craving if your friends are also getting unhealthy dishes or calorie-laden drinks...so order first and you shouldn't be as influenced by your dining companions.

I admit, weekends are always my biggest battle, but I take my type A personality and use it to my advantage to plan and prepare. Best of luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, great suggestions you guys! This is something I struggle with too. I go out to eat a LOT, especially on weekends in the summer. Like a lot of you, I'll have a really great week (read: full of structure) and then backpedal between, say, 6pm Friday and 6pm Sunday.

I've been trying to overcome my fear of asking for exactly what I want at a restaurant -- like "making trouble for everyone involved" by requesting steamed veggies instead of fries or a chicken breast sandwich without a bun. Sometimes it doesn't jive with my Midwestern sensibilities, but I'm trying to change my attitude about it and speak up more often. This goes for pushy friends and moms too (i.e. "a little ice cream/extra helping of dinner/another beer won't kill you..." This is my life, especially in the summer -- I'm constantly offending people and making them hate me by saying "no" to food ). Other restaurant-related habits I'm trying to break are eating everything on my plate, ordering the largest amount of food for my dollar (often some of the least healthy stuff on the menu), and the feeling of obligation to drink beverages or share food that someone else has purchased for me/the group (where I hang out, this often happens at the end of the night when everyone is a little bit loosened up -- a round of shots or a late night pizza run, for example). Again, I associate this with Midwestern attitudes, but its probably a lot more universal than that.

The times when I'm most successful are times when I plan ahead by looking at the menu for a new place (like wannabefitgrl's suggestion) or psyche myself up about ordering something healthy at our usual haunt (which thankfully has several pretty healthy options). Like grocery shopping, I'm also at my best when I don't go out to eat when I'm STARVING(!). Sometimes I'll even eat a super healthy mini-meal beforehand and order something small that takes a long time to eat at the restaurant, like bruschetta or steamed mussels. I'm also most successful when I limit myself to a plan that's not toooo stringent (like having one or two beers at the bar instead of just water) and then stick with that moderate expectation NO MATTER WHAT. I find that when I break down my resolve beyond that, however, its all over.

I'm glad you all got me thinking about this subject -- hopefully I'll still have this thread in mind tomorrow evening (yay Friday!) as the weekend gets going.

Cheers everyone -- here's to a healthy, fit, and FUN weekend!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 AM
FitDay Member

Weekends are the bane of my life, I so look forward to fri eve, home from work and winding down, which usually means a glass of wine. Then I am out with friends and temptation is all around and my son comes over for Sunday dinner, more food and wine. Monday comes and I am full of self loathing for my lack of willpower. However I have been getting better and some of the ideas here are definitely worth trying, like ordering first before I see my mates choosing all the yummiest, calorie laden dishes. Recently we have been going out for tapas and I find this good as we order mostly chicken or veggie ones and I let the others eat more than me by going slowly and no one notices as we're all talking. Wine makes me hungry, one glass is ok but sometimes I just pour that next glass without thinking and then it's hunt the snacks time. There will be no wine tomorrow evening as I am entertaining on Saturday and am trying to save up some calories. I am making a favourite pudding, which is pretty high so my intention is to make a smaller one than usual so I will have a little slice and hopefully there will be no leftovers. Whatever you do this weekend, have a great one.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Sailor, I'm likewise a midwesterner and hate to trouble people but I figure if they hate me for being healthy then so be it! What's going to draw more criticism from the waitress, asking for steamed veggies or an extra helping of mayo?

As for the pushy family, etc., I've always struggled at work where co-workers try to pressure me to eat unhealthy so as to justify their choices. But eventually they learned that I wasn't going to succumb to the temptation of ordering chinese on Fridays and now they don't even ask if I want to get some. Beat them over the head with it enough and they'll learn to back off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.