Newbie here - annoyed at yogurt >

Newbie here - annoyed at yogurt

Community
Notices

Newbie here - annoyed at yogurt

Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Newbie here - annoyed at yogurt

Hello, been using fitday for about three weeks and this is my first venture to the forums and just wanted to say hi.

I've just eaten a yogurt that said 119 calories but when I looked, that was per 100gm and it was 179gm so more like 208 cals which is a lot just for one snack! Damn you Muller!!

Will be more careful on my label reading in future
Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, gotta love single serving packaging that holds 2 (or more) servings

By the way, the phrase "annoyed at yogurt" just made my day. I'm a bit of a language freak lol.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default With you on that annoyance.

I quite like yogurt and eat it almost everyday. When I started on my weight loss quest last fall I suddenly realized that my favorite brand of yogurt had "high fructose corn syrup" in every single stinking cup. Which of course I'm trying to limit in my house. So I switched brands, and now I've switched again. You might want to look for the little cups, 4 ounces or so. I've been buying the Fiber One brand, the Dannon fat free, probiotics cups and the Activia Light cups. What I like about them is that the whole cup is 50 calories and 0 grams of fat. I wish they came in more flavors, but that's life for you.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I quite like yogurt and eat it almost everyday. When I started on my weight loss quest last fall I suddenly realized that my favorite brand of yogurt had "high fructose corn syrup" in every single stinking cup. Which of course I'm trying to limit in my house. So I switched brands, and now I've switched again. You might want to look for the little cups, 4 ounces or so. I've been buying the Fiber One brand, the Dannon fat free, probiotics cups and the Activia Light cups. What I like about them is that the whole cup is 50 calories and 0 grams of fat. I wish they came in more flavors, but that's life for you.
REgarding yogurt and ingredients....the only yogurt I've found taht is made out of real ingredients/not full of corn syrup and tons of other food additives and chemicals is greek goddess....it is made of honey, cream, etc. 5 simple ingredients. It has more calories and fat, but I just eat less and feel better not eating fake yogurt ful of harmful synthetics and food additives
Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

The Greek yogurts (we have Chobani and Oikos and a Dannon version where I live) are all natural, zero fat, and whopping protein; you might want to consider one of those?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM
FitDay Member

welcome this is my first day on the forum too! the same thing applies to foods that say all natural. That really doesnt mean a damn thing since the guidelines for "all natural" are so low. The only food i live by is 100% acai juice! its suppose to be soooo good for you but i just drink it cause i just think it tastes amazing. its either you hate or love the taste but im curious to know just how authentic all the media claims about acai really are.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 AM
FitDay Member

I just found the Chobani greek yogurt today, and I must say I like it a lot! I was eating Yo-Plus, 4 oz vanilla for 110 calories and 4g protein. The Chobani vanilla is 6 oz for 120 calories and 16g protein!! I was wondering, has anyone tried mixing plain greek yogurt with ranch dressing mix? This stuff would make an awesome veggie dip.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Lizzy, someone on another thread recommended that, said it was great! Good idea. My favorite way to eat it is with half a sliced banana and some chopped almonds.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the tips guys, will have a look round for those brands but in UK so might not have them... will have a better look next time I am shopping, although am a bit of a 'what's on offer' buyer so will have to balance that with calories.

Also when shopping now am too busy looking at cals instead of use by dates and last time bought a few things with v. short shelf life which then never all got eaten and had to bin and I hate wasting food! :/

Lizzycritter - glad I made ur day

And cassie, must try that plain yogurt with banana and almonds - sounds lush!!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Yogurt is easy to make!

Hi everyone,
For those of you with a little kitchen skill, real yogurt can be made right in your own home. You can use whatever kind of milk you like (skim, 1%, 2%, whole, organic milk or regular) and just add some active cultures from either from premade yogurt from the store, or you can buy the cultures dry. I have a yogurt maker, which takes some of the guess work out, but you don't need one. There are lots of directions on the web.

Once you have your own homemade yogurt, you can drain it for the greek-syle if you like which ups the protein. And you can add anything that suits your fancy like fruit or savory herbs to make salad dressings or toppings for veggies. There is even a little cookbook called Yocheese that has all kinds of great suggestions for using your homemade yogurt.

And yes, missmatch, store bought yogurt annoys me too