Notices

wanted: poached pear recipe

Old 07-03-2011, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default wanted: poached pear recipe

..hoping to find a great poached pear recipe with very little sugar. Anyone have one to share?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default i have a few to share!

Here are 4 pear recipes. The first one has no sugar. I havent tried it. sounds good n exactly what you r looking for:

6 Bosc pears, peeled and cored
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 pieces lemon zest, each 2 inches long
6 pieces orange zest, each 2 inches long
6 whole cloves

Rub pears with lemon juice to prevent discoloring. Place 1 piece of lemon zest and 1 piece of orange zest inside each core cavity. Stick a clove inside each pear.

Set each pear in center of an 8-inch-square sheet of microwave plastic wrap. Twist ends together at top to seal tightly.

Place wrapped pears in a ring inside rim of a 10-inch round dish. Cook at 100 percent power 8 minutes.

Remove from oven. Open hot pear packages. Serve warm or cold. Pears can be served in a pool of blueberry sauce or heavy cream. i'd serve w yogurt.
source:
Light Poached Pears | ajc.com

this 1 is a favorite of mine. the pears arent poached but the flavor is incredible. You could cut out many calories by reducing the maple by half and I'm pretty sure all the flavors would still be there.
o 4 ripe pears, peeled, cored & halved
o 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
o 3 tablespoons maple syrup
o 3 ounces pecan nuts, broken roughly
o yogurt, to serve

1. Microwave method:
2. Place the peeled, cored and halved pears into a microwaveable dish. Place them cut side down.
3. Scatter the dried cranberries over the pears.
4. Pour 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup over the pears & cranberries & cover with microwaveable cling film.
5. Microwave on High for 3 minutes until softened, stirring half way through.
6. Uncover and leave to cool off slightly for a few minutes.
7. Stir the pecan nuts through the syrup.
8. Spoon into serving dishes making sure EVERYONE gets some nutty syrup & cranberries!
9. Drizzle over the remaining maple syrup.
10. Yogurt is nice with this dessert.

can also bake at 400°F which is what i do for abt 30-45 mins.

the next 1 is just too good not to share. if you've ever had a lambic you'll love this.
o 3 1/4 cup kriek (cherry lambic) beer
o 5 oz sugar
o 1 cinnamon sticks
o 1 lemon (i remove rind. original recipe does not)
o 4 -5 pears

Directions

1. Slice the lemon into pieces and add it to a saucepan together with the Kriek.
2. Bring the mixture up to a boil and add the sugar and the cinnamon stick. Let this come back up to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low and let it cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile peel the pears. Place the pears upright in a saucepan large enough to hold them, remove the lemon pieces and the cinnamon stick from the Kriek and pour the Kriek mixture over the pears. Cover the pan and poach the pears on low heat for 45 minutes. Remove the pears and set them aside for the moment. Bring the Kriek mixture back to boiling and cook it until it thickens to a red syrup. Pour the sauce over the pears and serve. I would recommend a little crêms fràiche on the side.

this 1 made without sugar, uses honey:
o 2 cups good red wine
o 1/4 cup creme de cassis
o 1/2 cup raisins
o 1 cinnamon sticks
o 1/2 cup honey
o 4 pears, cored and sliced
o whipped cream
o slivered almonds

Directions

1. Simmer the wine, crème de cassis, raisins, cinnamon, and honey together for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Add the pears and cook gently for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Serve in bowls or sherbet glasses topped with freshly whipped cream and slivered almonds.
4. This dish can be prepared hours in advance and is good hot, warm, or chilled.

*I rarely use whipped cream. With all of these I use greek yogurt.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
FitDay Member

mmm..they all sound so good. I'll try the last one first... and work my way up. Thanks ripemango.