Notices

Just coming back around...need helpful advise

Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

Question Just coming back around...need helpful advise

Hi everyone! I was an active member in 2009-2010 but I'm just coming back on for the first time in over a year. My story is, I was about 145-150 in Summer 2009. From summer 09 till now I've went up to 260. I had a back injury in the military and it stopped basically all exercise and movement period. ;( I tried the South Beach diet in February and lost about 14lbs in the first 2 weeks but then we moved across the country and of course ate fast food for every meal and when we got here to Maryland, I just never started back again. My goal is to get back to my original size and hopefully take some pressure off my back. I've looked into Weight watchers and heard good and bad things about it, I love fit day but counting cal is a difficult thing for me (as I'm sure with a lot of you) since I work full time, go to school full time and only cook about 3 times a week. I've talked to dietitians and nutritionists but most of everything they say is, eat at least 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up and eat more in the mornings than the evenings. I guess I am looking for some advise and maybe some stories that you went through. I can't really exercise, just walking around the block hurts my back something terrible but I try to move as much as possible. Hopefully someone on here can give me some good motivating stories or advise!! I look forward to reading you guys post!

Thanks,

Sarah
Old 07-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Sarah! Welcome back to FitDay. I totally hear how an injury and moving can disrupt even the best laid plans. But you can get a handle on it!

The first thing that jumped into my mind was to tell you to find what works for you, and this may be some trial and error. If you're not into counting calories, you could try WW and count points, to see what you think, or maybe focus on X servings from protein, X from grains, X from fruits, X from veggies daily...you get the idea. Everyone finds their own path through this journey. Sometimes just changing one thing at a time is a good place to start. If it works, keep doing it; if not, try something else. If you look through the message boards and threads and see what folks have tried, you can maybe get some ideas to try as well; weed through and see what you feel you can stick to. As far as I know, there's no law about 6 meals a day. Some do, some don't, but if it's not something that fits in your lifestyle, you won't do it, so do something different. With counting cals, once you get the foods you eat most loaded in, it takes very little time, or maybe try planning ahead of time and logging in the night before if you want. You'll get there . Post often and ask questions; everyone here is helpful. If you're completely out of ideas, maybe start a thread asking everyone for their best piece of advice; I'm sure you'd get some responses. The Women's Corner is usually pretty active, and there is a 100+ pounds to lose thread in the Weight Loss section as well.

BTW, where are you in MD? That's my home state .
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Cjohnson! Thanks for the support Yeah I think planning the night ahead is a great idea! I've added the most stuff I eat but it just seems crazy to look at calories as such a huge factor to me. For instance, on my profile it says as long as I eat less than 1600 cal a day, I should lose about 2 pounds a week, so given common sense I would think to stay as far from that 1600 as I can and eat as much fruit, veggies and balance what I eat. But at the same time, I've seen people eat burgers and fries and still stay under the 1600 and still lose weight??! I'm going to stick with it as long as I can and I'll keep updating my status. My biggest problem is eating fast food because I hardly ever have time to cook and I either in school or work so hopefully this will work out for me this time! I'm in Aberdeen MD just got here a few months ago actually, I'm from Augusta GA so looks like we did a switch! haha thanks again!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, it's a mystery as to how what works for some doesn't work for others.

If one of your downfalls is fast food, spend a few minutes on the websites of the restaurants to check out their nutrition information. As I'm sure you know, some choices are better than others; if you can come up with some relatively healthy "go to" meals at each place you visit (salads, wraps, sandwiches, etc.), then at least you know you're not doing too badly.

I believe it is about calories first and foremost, but the quality of those calories matters, too. However, that's just my opinion and there are others out there.

Hope you have some success soon! Don't be a stranger!

Yay for Aberdeen...been there many times. I had an aunt in Havre de Grace, right down the road. Looks like we did do the switcheroo!