View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

Default A must share Nacho recipe.

I came up with the chips today, I'd been considering it for a while but only put it together just now, works like a charm and are about 1/2 the calories of regular tortilla chips. The salsa I've made for years, I just dump in whatever I have on hand and it always turns out fantastic, it's even better the next day.

Chips

6-7 small low calorie corn or flour tortillas (the ones I used are 45 calories each)
sea salt
cooking spray
paprika (optional)
cumin (optional)
pepper (optional)

Spray each side of the tortillas, then stack them up and quarter the whole pile. Spread evenly over a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and whatever else you want, cumin, a package of taco seasoning, black pepper, etc etc. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 350 deg F for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

Salsa

1-2 tomatoes diced
1 sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup sweet corn (optional)
1 - 15oz can beans, white, red, black or chili (chef's choice), drained and rinsed
1 jar pickled banana peppers, mild, medium or hot (chef's choice), diced
1-2 sweet belle peppers, green, red, yellow or orange, (chef's choice) diced
1-4 hot peppers, finely diced
1 package taco seasoning mix or [1 T cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp paprika]

Combine in a bowl and serve, it's great fresh and even better the next day. You can play around with the heat a little, depending on how hot your peppers are. I've taken it to parties where I brought both mild and hot versions, and made the distinction by putting green peppers and black beans in one and yellow peppers and white beans in the other.

To make a plate of nachos, line a plate with the chips and cover liberally with the salsa and serve it with a fork. It's so delicious you won't miss the cheese and sour cream, and nobody will ever guess that it's healthy and lite, and even if they did guess, they'll lick the plate clean anyway.
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13

Last edited by almeeker; 07-05-2011 at 12:38 AM.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote