Notices

Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:50 PM
FitDay Member

Michael what is your favorite movie?
Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thank you

Thanks for your input, Michael. I think you're right...he may not be ready yet to take this seriously. I know I can't do that for him. No one could do it for me when I was 50 lbs overweight...there just came a time when I finally decided to do something about it. Guess I was hoping that, if I did some of the work for him initially (planning meals, buying food), he'd come around. But all I can really do is support him and hope he makes some changes before it's too late. Thanks again...your personal story is a real inspiration!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cwbraves
Thanks for your input, Michael. I think you're right...he may not be ready yet to take this seriously. I know I can't do that for him. No one could do it for me when I was 50 lbs overweight...there just came a time when I finally decided to do something about it. Guess I was hoping that, if I did some of the work for him initially (planning meals, buying food), he'd come around. But all I can really do is support him and hope he makes some changes before it's too late. Thanks again...your personal story is a real inspiration!
I sure do wish I had to answer to "flipping the switch" on deciding to lose weight. It took a long time for mine to flip after years of daily thinking that "today is the day" but it never really was. You wake up with great plans and intentions, then in a few hours (or less) you do exactly what you've been doing that got you into the situation.

Your friend knows darned well that he is going to die early if he doesn't change his ways. I knew it, yet I kept on doing what I was doing. Why? Who knows? Then, last May 5th my switch just flipped. I came back to FitDay, made a couple little lifestyle adjustments and things have gone pretty well.

If you think it would help, you can introduce him to FitDay, even bring up my pics over in "success stories" if you want. It might not be his time to do this right now, but it never hurts to gently plant a seed.

I hope things work out.

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by bmkess
Michael what is your favorite movie?
Tough question!

I have probably 10 or 12 that I can watch over and over. I'd say my top three are:

Caddy Shack
Pulp Fiction
Tombstone

Great film making? Perhaps, perhaps not, but I like 'em--what can I say.

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
Hi Mike,

I was wondering if you were ever in denial about your weight? I know I certainly was for a long time. I'd go out and look at people and think..."I'm not so big as her, I must be doing ok..." (Eventually, I started to realize I had to point out larger and larger folks to compare myself to!)

Or...were you pretty much aware of your habits and simply hadn't had the switch flipped yet to change?

Thanks for putting yourself out there like this!
This was me too, and then one day I happened to be standing in front of a mirror at a store and a rather large woman walked between me and the mirror and I realized that I was even BIGGER . Now that was a bad day. Self portraits don't really lie, so I'm thinking that once a month I should take one just to keep my size in prospective.

Great job Michael. So how is the loose skin issue? A friend of mine works for a plastic surgeon, and was telling me about this new tummy tuck procedure that they're doing. I'm considering it, but only because my belly button has issues.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-27-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
This was me too, and then one day I happened to be standing in front of a mirror at a store and a rather large woman walked between me and the mirror and I realized that I was even BIGGER . Now that was a bad day. Self portraits don't really lie, so I'm thinking that once a month I should take one just to keep my size in prospective.

Great job Michael. So how is the loose skin issue? A friend of mine works for a plastic surgeon, and was telling me about this new tummy tuck procedure that they're doing. I'm considering it, but only because my belly button has issues.
Well, it's not great, but it beats the alternative! I don't think I'll ever be able to go "topless". It would take a lot of "tucking" to tighten everything up, if it could even be done. I'm hoping that another 50 pounds or so off will at least reduce some of the "overhang" a bit more.

I'm guessing that this is not so big a deal for a guy and really, you've gotta figure that if you cut the contents of the "container" by half or more that the "container" is probably going to stay a bit stretched.

If you've just got the smaller "problem area" and it really bothers you then I guess a little surgery to fix it might be worthwhile.

Regards,
Michael