Greek Yogurt vs Sour Cream >

Greek Yogurt vs Sour Cream

Community
Notices

Greek Yogurt vs Sour Cream

Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 PM
FitDay Member

Default Greek Yogurt vs Sour Cream

Hi. I am brand new to this site, and my latest attempt at losing some weight. I am at my heaviest now at roughly 180lbs.

I have heard some conflicting reports about whether greek yogurt is better for you than sour cream. I have heard its higher in protein. Or that if you ate only greek yogurt it would essentially be a whole meal. I usually buy the fat free sour cream (much to my husbands distaste), but have tried substituting greek yogurt, just to see if the taste is really that similar. (i think it is with things like perogies, and tacos)

I am just starting to track my food intake, and I don't really know if I'm lacking protein or not.
I am having a hard time knowing what to eat and what not to. I have been successful in the past by just working out, and switching to whole wheat grains over white. But I would like to be over all healthier. Any info on the greek yogurt vs. sour cream debate would be helpful!

Thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

IMO, greek yogurt is definitely superior. It gives you a big hit of protein that sour cream does not.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I agree with Cassie. The fatfree sour cream uses a bunch of chemical substitutes to get that creamy texture without the fat, so I really try to avoid it. You can get a great sour cream taste with whole, 2%, or fat free greek yogurt. Plus, it won't separate when you heat it so substituting it in cooked recipes (like strogannoff) is even better.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Are you comparing full-fat sour cream to full fat Greek Yogurt? If you go to the supermarket, you can easily pick up one (the Greek yogurt) in one hand and one in the other (the sour cream) with the same weight and serving size and compare the two. What are you looking for? More protein? Less fat? More taste? Sour cream and Greek yogurt have different tastes and work differently in recipes - Greek yogurt is more dense and less creamy.

I prefer non-fat sour cream to yogurt, myself. I eat non-fat sour cream the same way you might eat yogurt. I add some Splenda (artificial sweetener) or some sugarless maple syrup (the sweetness is from artificial sweetener). But that's me. That also has a less-creamy texture. Yogurt is supposed to have active cultures that are probiotic. That's not going to be found in the sour cream.