View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
ChaiKitty
FitDay Member

duck94,

In response to your original post, I do not follow the 80/10/10 diet and instead follow Dr. Furhman's Eat to Live diet (low fat vegan, but not raw).

Here is a link I found in Dr. Fuhrman's website regarding the choice to eat an exclusively raw diet: FAQ | Dr Fuhrman.com

Here are some important selections from that link:

"Excluding all steamed vegetables and vegetable soups from your diet narrows your nutrient diversity and has a tendency to reduce the percentage of calories from vegetables in favor of nuts and fruits which are lower in nutrients per calorie. "

"Only small amounts of nutrients are lost with conservative cooking like making a soup, but many more nutrients are made more absorbable. These nutrients would have been lost if those vegetables had been consumed raw. When we heat, soften and moisturize the vegetables and beans we dramatically increase the potential digestibility and absorption of many beneficial and nutritious compounds. We also increase the plant proteins in the diet, especially important for those eating a plant-based diet with limited or no animal products."

Now, there may be people out there who disagree with this or who, like you duck94, who are having great success with eating a raw vegan diet. However, I have found a lot of success with including cooked beans, lentils, and veggies in my diet. It's tasty too. Also, although I am not a nutritional scientist, I am a scientist and I agree with the reasoning and have looked up the scientific literature references that Dr. Fuhrman makes. It seems quite sound.

Anyhow, I am not a spokesperson for Dr. Fuhrman or his diet, but., as I mentioned, I have had a lot of success with the low fat vegan approach and would encourage you to give that a try or at least look into that option as you are on your journey to the most healthy diet ever.

Take care,
Chai

Last edited by ChaiKitty; 06-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
ChaiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote