Notices

mild exercises?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:05 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy mild exercises?

I've had a rough year so far. I was recently diagnosed with polymyositis, but had a 2nd opinion and they think it could be dermatomyositis. Either way, it's not a relief.

I was just wondering if there were any fitday folks in the same boat that have been at this point and have some ideas for mild exercises for keeping/building muscle strength and mobility.

This is for life, but hopefully it decides to go into remission and I never have to feel this way again.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 PM
FitDay Member

Have you considered yoga? Some of it's really hard, but there are all sorts of beginner yoga DVDs.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

There are many mild forms of exercise that you can engage in to keep yourself reasonably toned when you can't do more strenuous activities. Like the previous posters mentioned, yoga and walking are excellent. Also Pilates, especially if you take a few private lessons and tell the teacher before you start about your physical limitations. If you belong to a gym, invest in a couple of sessions with a personal trainer--when you book your appointment mention your physical problems so s/he can design a program specifically for you. And don't ignore exercise DVDs--there are some specifically for people with arthritis and fibromyalgia that might be perfect for you.

Yehudit
Old 06-03-2011, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

I have recently discovered hula hooping. They have beginner hoops which are fairly easy to use. It is a low impact aerobic exercise that strengthens your stomach and your back. It really is fun once you've got the hang of it.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
FitDay Member

I don't know your conditions either, but here is an idea I had.

Some hospitals and rehab facilities have therapy pools that you can get a pass or punch card to. Often they are warmer than normal pools and may use different chemicals that chlorine. They may even offer some fitness classes you could try. If you are doing any sort of physical therapy for your condition, the therapist may be able to guide you or give you some complimentary time.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

I don't have your particular illness, but I am dealing with my own which limits exercise most of the time. Have you tried Sit and be Fit?
I use to see it on PBS. It is a workout made for seniors and those with limitations. I don't know if it is on any of your PBS channels. Maybe if you googled it there might be videos online.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have 4 very serious health problems but I discovered Oxycise with Jill Johnson about 15 years ago and have not looked back. This is diaphragmatic breathing with isotonic/isometric body work. When I am not up to much I lay on my back and do my workout, when I am up to more I can do more. Check out the website, Oxycise! Health and Weight Loss Program, we are people of all ages and abilities. I have lost 35 lbs with Jill and the added oxygen to my system makes me feel like a million bucks! Fitday and Oxycise keep me on my feet..hang in there friend, we will walk with you.

Nancy
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

I have a similiar dvd for deep breathing and yoga stretching that works great and can be done easily. Search "Greer Childers" on the web for information. Several years ago when I was in bad shape and concerned about being able to do the exercises I started doing them in bed. I now do about 20 minutes of hers every morning before my sauna.. The latest DVD has most the exercises done from a sitting on a chair position. I haven't switched to that but I may in my old age (90 maybe) I have found it increased my flexibility, helped me tone -- and amused anyone who saw me doing the two facial exercises. Mary
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
FitDay Member

So may good suggestions here! I have fibromyalgia so I am limited too, although I too am not familiar with your condition. Lately I have been walking (as much as I can tolerate) through my town, on hot or yucky days walking (fairly slowly) on a treadmill, doing about 10 minutes on an elliptical on a non strenous level and most importantly for me, stretching. I also find meditation and being careful with my diet helps (sugar and too many carbs are not my friend but neither is not eating.) I know yoga can be great but be careful; even the "easy stuff" might be challenging. Good luck and just remember it's better to do a little at a time and build than to overdo and have to do over, building yourself back up from "below zero" (as I have done many times.) I hope you feel better!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Tai Chi is very low-impact, and fun too! It's pretty relaxing too when you combine it with Qigong breathing exercises. When I was taking a Tai Chi class I slept a lot better.