Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > FitDay Custom Foods
An easy way to create a custom food with multiple ingredients? >

An easy way to create a custom food with multiple ingredients?

Notices

An easy way to create a custom food with multiple ingredients?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default An easy way to create a custom food with multiple ingredients?

I'm currently putting together a big pot of Tuscan bean soup with lots of different ingredients. I figure the easiest way to manage this will be to calculated everything that goes into the pot to create one customer food, and then work out my portion of that. Is there any way of doing this? How does everyone else manage shared recipes with multiple ingredients?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

I have tons of recipes loaded to my custom foods. After cooking a dish, I enter all the recipe total ingredients on a blank page of my food log. Then (and here's the tricky part for soup) I determine how many servings it made. Well, we all know a serving "size" is a relative thing. I personally call a serving of soup for an adult 1.5 cups, but most people say 1 cup. Once I have determined how many servings I consider the recipe makes, I divide the figures Fitday gave me by the number of servings to get the nutritional info for ONE serving. And don't forget to divide the fiber by # servings as well! I jot my serving numbers on a piece of paper. Then I load up a CUSTOM FOOD, being sure to include serving size (1.5 c) as part of the food/recipe name (since Fitday shows 1 serving only).

For example: Soup, Tuscan Bean, 1.5 c

And then I enter all the numbers and click the SAVE button.

That's all there is to it!

I have a recipe blog and have to go through this for every single recipe I post there. Check it out!

Buttoni's Blog
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Can you explain exactly how you do the blank page on the food log. I am new to this and almost always make my own foods so this is a big issue. Is there a way to write in recipes and have the site compile the nutritional stats for the whole thing, or do you have to create a custom food for each individual component? If so, it is too much trouble when there is 20 ingredients.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb

Folks,

I came up with a little Excel spread sheet that will automatically calculate the amount per serving of your recipes. Just enter the number of servings the recipe makes (lower left green box), enter your ingredients across the top in row one, then enter the nutritional values of each ingredient down each column. The spreadsheet automatically adds everything up and divides it by the number of servings you entered. You can then go and enter this info to create a custom food. If you save the spreadsheet under a different name, you can have it on hand if you decide to modify the recipe in the future.

Here's the Link. When prompted, save it somewhere you'll remember where it is.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11...0Worksheet.xls

Good luck

Vince
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

I'm using an iPad and don't have the capacity to use spread sheets (but I'll try to get the file suggested above) or open a page since I don't have the PC version. What I do is to go to the day ahead, load up the ingredients, copy the calories, fats, etc. from the pie chart, then open the nutrition page above the pie chart. I copy all the values from that page, then load my new 'custom' food onto its own page. Finally, I go back to the day ahead log and clean it out. This takes a fair amount of time, and I only do it for meals I'm going to have multiple times, but it gets the job done.
I've seen this question come up before - think that
FIT DAY NEEDS TO HELP US OUT HERE!

Last edited by Kohsamui; 10-13-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

when I do something like that I calculate everything that goins into it, then after cooked I weight it to get a total weight. Then from there I divide that out to figure out have many grams I can have for my desired calories for that meal. Then I just seperate it out into containers, and freeze a few.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vlcowley
Folks,

I came up with a little Excel spread sheet that will automatically calculate the amount per serving of your recipes. Just enter the number of servings the recipe makes (lower left green box), enter your ingredients across the top in row one, then enter the nutritional values of each ingredient down each column. The spreadsheet automatically adds everything up and divides it by the number of servings you entered. You can then go and enter this info to create a custom food. If you save the spreadsheet under a different name, you can have it on hand if you decide to modify the recipe in the future.

Here's the Link. When prompted, save it somewhere you'll remember where it is.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11...0Worksheet.xls

Good luck

Vince
I like that. I'll have to save it and give it a shot. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

I use this website:

Link removed

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 02-22-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I use this website: Link removed
Wow! I like your link.

Thanks!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 02-22-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
FitDay Member

I love this website: Sparkpeople (see below link removed)

It has a recipe calculator so I can take all my recipes, enter the ingredients, and it will tell me the calories and nutritional info. Then I just add a custom food to my fitday. Much easier then trying to use fitday alone.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 02-22-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.