Notices

60 yr.old female needs encouragement

Old 06-11-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy 60 yr.old female needs encouragement

After losing 15 lbs since last July, I found them again over the course of the last six months. Hopefully keeping a log of everything I eat will help me get back on track. I'm tired of the yo-yo.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

I am brand new here, just started yesterday. I felt I had to reply to your post. I'm 55, and there is no question that this is more difficult at our age. I don't know if 15 lbs. is all you're worried about, or if you have more to lose. I have lost and ground the same 50 lbs. many times over the years, and am feeling very discouraged. I'm tired of fighting the weight battle. I've been doing it all my life.

I just wanted you to know that there was another person roughly your age fighting the same fight. We CAN be successful. Hang in there!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

For me, weighing and logging my food definitely keeps me on track. It can be a pain sometimes but it really does work. It's amazing how the calories can add up when we're not paying attention!

It's also very satisfying and motivating to see the graphs and calorie balance, and all the reports when you are doing good!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to fitday. I have the same history of losing and gaining. I'm hoping to lose and keep it off this time. I expect that will mean a lifetime of journalling, watching what I eat and exercise, however I'm looking for a lifestyle I can live with. Finding activities I enjoy for exercise helps. I'm also looking for ways to enjoy my food on 1500 calories. Most the time I can succeed. Getting back at it when off my routine for a week is crucial. Mary
Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Losing weight is hard, but keeping it off is the true goal of a diet. This is a message I took home from a Weight Watchers meeting and it has stuck with me. Now, I am happy if I lose a pound and the next week, I am the same weight. That means I didn't gain it back. If you looked at a history of my life of dieting, you'd see that I've lost thousands of pounds, and gained them back, one by one. So where did my dieting 'success' get me each time? Yay, I lost five pounds - OK, check back in a month and see if I'm still down five pounds!
(These days, I just think about it as a maintenance goal...)

Everyone wants to tell you about the great way they lost weight. They never tell you when the weight came back on. They don't want to tell you about how it came back on. If they really thought about it, they could tell you EXACTLY how it came back on.

That's where keeping a food diary is so useful!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Hi vernon2vernon, I just saw your message. I started a thread today (6-28-11) called "Baby Boomers" and am looking for support as well. If you or others still check in I hope you will join me. I could use encouragement as well.

Nancy
Old 07-04-2011, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Me too!

Hi -

I'm also 60. I just discovered FitDay today, signed up, and started keeping track of my food and activity.

I have been on every diet there is including high protein, Slim Fast, supplements, Weight Watchers, liquid protein, etc etc. Over the course of 35years I dieted and steadily gained weight. Several years ago I decided I was done with dieting forever. When I did that, my weight stabilized. Two years ago I became vegetarian (occasionally eat fish) for animal cruelty reasons and since then I've dropped 12 pounds without trying. (A very slow rate of loss, but faster than I gained the weight!) I think that having limited choices helps me to make better choices. It's like this: if I go into a shoe store and there are 300 pairs of shoes, I come out with something that might not work for me. If I go into a shoe store and there are 12 pairs of shoes, I have no problem picking the right ones.

I'm hoping that FitDay provides a bit of structure and accountability for me.

Good luck to you!