Notices

Food Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Food Search

Hello, I am new to posting in the forum.

I've been wondering why certain foods do not appear in the food browse. for example, I eat plain raw strawberries almost daily, yet there is only an option for "with sugar."

It's bad enough i ate a hot dog, but there is no option for a hotdog roll.

Should all of these foods be added as custom foods?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

raw strawberries is in there

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodSe...ck=-2141803627
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
FitDay Member

sorry...I did it as food browse. Raw strawberries don't come up that way.

Sorry!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default further to this problem...

Okay, so yes there is a raw strawberry option, but I was trying to find an option for fruit salad (as opposed to entering each indivudual raw fruit), but not a single option allows for a plain fruit salad. Everything was "cooked" or "with marshmallow" (what??), or this kind of thing. Why is a fruit cocktail full of syrup and marshmallow easier to find then plain fruit mixed together?

This is just an example, but I find it odd that a website devoted to helping people track their food intake - with the aim to lose weight - that it's so very difficult to find foods that are in their natural state, or things with whole grains, etc.

I've considered that maybe some of my issues are because I'm Canadian and shopping in Canadian stores, but surely things like whole grain pastas are things that exist in the US too? It would seem to me that it should be easier to search for foods that are free of preservative and un-packaged, since people trying to lose weight will be trying to avoid these things as part of their plan.

A helpful piece of weight-loss advice I've come across pointed out that "skinny women" (I know I know) shop around the edges of the grocery store - which of course (at least here in Canada) means fresh produce, fresh meats and dairy (not processed), and this sort of thing.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe because a fresh fruit salad has so many more variations in terms of what can go into it, whereas the canned fruit cocktail/salad is usually pretty standard? And even when you make it yourself, sometimes you have more strawberries, sometimes more banana, that it will vary. I actually prefer to put in the individual weights of each fruit, but that's just me.

FitDay does have a lot of limitations when it comes to the foods feature; I prefer to make custom foods when I can. Now that most of the stuff I eat is in there, it's pretty easy and I know it's accurate. But different strokes for different folks; good luck with your journey.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, I know what you mean of course, the fruit salad thing was just an example. If there was an option that was more or less the items that might be in a fruit salad, I might select that if I was in a hurry - what's the difference between 7 grapes or 2 strawberries? Not statistically relevant really, it's all fruit.

And yes, as I enter more custom foods it does become easier, but again, those are the packaged items anyway. I don't think I should be entering custom foods so often. It amazes me how hard it can be to find the right kind of cheese or cream sometimes - no half and half listing that I can see. But who knows, maybe it's because I'm Canadian and we may do things differently here. I don't know what to compare it to though, so I can't be sure.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 PM
FitDay Member

Hey there, also I can't seem to find Zucchini, I believe they are called Courgettes as well.

I tend to make raw food blends with a multitude of different vegies. But many of your vegetables are not available as raw. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks so much!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

I think zucchini is in as summer squash? Sometimes you have to search for the "raw" label (like raw tomatoes is just off my iPad page and requires a scroll...), but I'd make a short list of those you can't find, send in another request for the audience and if we have no tips, we can ALL gang up on the techs (again)....