Thread: electrolytes
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Can you clarify 'electrolytes'? I thought that meant sodium and potassium. When I google it, I get 'The electrolytes include sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium and phosphate.'

I guess you get these in various foods in your diet. Maybe you are referring to the sports drinks that say they replenish electrolytes. Each drink has differing amounts, I guess, and I'm sure they aren't calorie-free. But if you are getting these things in your diet, do you need them from a drink?

Coincidentally, I was reading an issue of Men's Health recently. There was a short article there about the daily requirement for potassium. The simple baked potato wins the competition for containing that mineral, hands down. Next on the list was boiled spinach. I was so impressed by the list that I bought some potatoes to bake and some spinach to boil when I was at the grocery store, today!

The calories in a very calorie-laden potato come from fat that you add to it. So I'm going to try seasoning just with spices and Butter Buds (or Molly McButter).
Kathy13118 is offline   Reply With Quote