Notices

Healthy Weight Loss for Breastfeeding Women

Old 02-22-2010, 05:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Healthy Weight Loss for Breastfeeding Women

I am having trouble losing my baby weight. I have restricted my calorie intake to 1,800 cals. and heavily increased my workouts but I haven't lost any weight. Its been 5 weeks since I have started and I'm getting really frustrated. Any suggestions on how to lose weight while breastfeeding?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

I don't have any magic answers for you, but wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I am also breastfeeding, have restricted my calories to 1600 - 1800, have been exercising, and drinking my water, and SLOW progress. I'm a very impatient person, so it's tough to keep telling myself that slow progress is still progress.

I know with my first child I didn't lose a single pound between the time I gave birth until I was done breastfeeding (6 months later). With this child I have been able to lose, but it's been slow.

Some women can't lose weight while breastfeeding, even though all the logical steps for success are taken.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

I am also breastfeeding. The first month I didn't lose a thing, but I gained a lot of muscle. I also had a hard time losing before baby was a year old, no matter what I did. He's now 14 months and I'm down 7 lb in 2 months. I've been trying for 7 months. I've restricted my calories to 1800, and I go to a trainer twice a week and run twice. My boy has also cut down significantly on the amount he nurses, so that may help.

You are definitely not alone! I tried to take on the idea that I wanted to get healthy, not lose weight. That helped me get through the first little while.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

I am also breastfeeding. My daughter is 7 months old and I've lost a total of 57lbs since her birth... I have 100 to lose though. She has severe food allergies (dairy and soy), so my diet is very restricted however.

My doctor said a weight loss of 1-2 lbs a week is the maximum I should lose or my milk supply will be compromised. Don't restrict your calories too far because your body needs 300-500 calories to produce quality breast milk.

Your hormones are completely out of wack for the first 6 months post-partum and for several weeks after weaning is complete so don't beat yourself up about slow progress.

Making sure your body is getting the proper nutrients is a must... calcium, iron and vitamin D levels are quick to drop while breastfeeding. So make sure you continue to take your prenatals.

You should also schedule an appointment with your doctor to have your thyroid levels checked as lots of women have thyroid imbalances post partum which can lower your metabolism.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

With both of mine, I didn't gain much weight during the pregnancy, ended up 5 lbs below my prepregnancy weight with both of them (despite eating everything that wasn't nailed down), and then gained 30 lbs while breastfeeding-UGH! Hormones . I ate much less while I was breastfeeding than I did when I was pregnant. Only lost 10 after my daughter was weaned, hit a high of 182 after my son, and am FINALLY down 20 lbs at 162. 30 more to go until I'm where I was before my daughter. If I lose 25 more I will be happy indeed. My son is 20 months old now.

Good advice from the posters above me. Definitely keep up with the vitamins, and focus on health, not weight. Also stop and enjoy the "baby time", it's over way too fast.