Notices

Help...I'm sliding....

Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

Angry Help...I'm sliding....

Hello all!

I'm finding myself sliding right back into my old patterns of snacking and eating bad things. My exercising is almost nil lately and I don't know why. It's almost like I've seen a little bit of success, so Eh..this one or FIVE pieces of candy won't hurt me! Eh...not exercising for 1 night won't kill me. Guess what...it IS! And unfortunately, the "oh you can do it!" type encouragement doesn't do it for me. I don't know what will! I'm telling myself that I'm only hurting myself, and I am. No one else cares if I lose weight or not.

Grr...how do I break this horrible chain!!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

I find that exercising and doing the dishes are similar in that the hardest part is getting started. And then typically once I've put in the workout and realized how hard I had to work to burn 400 calories, I'm a lot less likely to binge and ruin it.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

It took me from September to Jan to get started. I had actually joined a group of friends and lost a couple pounds then gained two more than I lost. The end of December the light went on and I've been 98% motivated since then.

My friends who are losing slowly seem to have a harder time than those aiming for a pound or two a month. Not sure if there is not enough change for their bodies to notice or what. I need a 500 - 800 claorie defecit or I just coast -- likely because my measures are not exact. Keep working at it. Fitness is worth it. Mary
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your responses! I was just talking about this with a friend who is doing weight watchers and she made me realize that my goal was probably too lax. I was giving myself too much time to lose the weight. Why not lose it early so that I can enjoy the new me longer?? So my new goal is pretty agressive, but I think it'll keep me on track. Once I'm on track, I do really well...it's the falling off and getting back on that's tough!!! So here's hoping I can get back on that horse and not fall off again!!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe you need a switch up? If you're burnt out from your normal exercise routine, maybe you just need to go dancing, or take a different class, or go for a hike someplace beautiful. Is there an activity that you just LOVE?

I know from experience that you can't build a lifestyle around doing things you don't enjoy, so maybe pick up a Cooking Light magazine to try new healthy recipes or go to the farmer's market to see what fresh vegetables look gorgeous right now. Do something you really enjoy rather than just white-knuckling it through your normal diet/exercise program.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default good rate for weight loss

From everything I've read about it (and believe me, I've read a lot!) losing about 1 pooun a week, or 3-6 pounds a month is optimal. When you lose weight faster than that, you tend to put it back on faster too; slower weight loss is just too slow to feel like you've made any progress.

The other key is to combine exercise and diet--increase the amount of calories you spend while decreasing the number of calories you take in.

It's very simple to say, and very tricky to do. But it works!
(That is, it works IF you stick to it)

Yehudit
Old 05-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by erinmrystrom
Hello all!

I'm finding myself sliding right back into my old patterns of snacking and eating bad things. My exercising is almost nil lately and I don't know why. It's almost like I've seen a little bit of success, so Eh..this one or FIVE pieces of candy won't hurt me! Eh...not exercising for 1 night won't kill me. Guess what...it IS! And unfortunately, the "oh you can do it!" type encouragement doesn't do it for me. I don't know what will! I'm telling myself that I'm only hurting myself, and I am. No one else cares if I lose weight or not.

Grr...how do I break this horrible chain!!
So the "you can do it!" type of encouragement doesn't do it for you? That's good to know before I start typing!

No one else cares if you lose weight or not???? Aren't you married with 2 kids? How old are your kids? Can you get out and play with them like you'd like to? Do you have the energy to hang with them? If not, do you really think that they don't care about that? If they are too young to play, then picture yourself 5 years from now. How active will you be then with your kids? Not assuming a bad one, but what kind of example are you showing your kids and what kind of example do you want to show them?

How long have you been married? Why wouldn't your husband want a new sexier you that's full of energy? How is your relationship? Is your husband fit or does he need to lose weight? Besides the typical "I'd love him no matter what" response that most people say, if he needs to lose weight, could you have more fun or be more attracted to him if he were fit, happy and confident? He may feel the same way. If he is fit and active, don't you want to be fit with him?

Even if no one else cares... do it for YOU!

Lastly you wanted to know why you are sliding back into your old ways. It's simple!!!!! I can tell you in just two words (but then I'll go on to explain). IT'S EASIER!!!!!!!!! Seriously, how hard is it to eat whatever you want? Not worry about exercising? Spend too much time in front of the TV, or the computer screen that you are looking at right now? It's not hard to do those things. It doesn't take work or effort or planning to do nothing. Doing nothing will get you no results, doing something will get you some results and busting you ass will get you an ass load of results.

The choice is yours. You can either do it for someone else, do it for yourself or not do it at all.

Are you making excuses, are you trying to rationalize things? You should make a list of why you want or should lose weight and another list of why you don't want to or shouldn't lose weight.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I'd like to put a little bit of a different twist on this (a problem I've been experiencing myself lately).

You were 'in a groove,' going along just great. Something probably changed. It's one thing to say, 'Something inside me changed (resolve, focus, enthusiasm)' but you can look elsewhere. You can say, 'Something outside me changed' and try to figure out what that something is.

Ironically, I had written somewhere that I think I was having an easier time dieting (reducing my calories) because there was less stress in my life. But I was certain that, having all these habits, I would be able to deal with the influence of stress in the future. Guess what - not! I had a bout of something really stressful and, although I dealt with it successfully at the time, as soon as things smoothed out a little bit, I found myself eating more than I should - again! How did that happen?

Obviously, the stress still wreaks its black magic and no, I haven't learned to deal with it yet without food.

It doesn't have to be stress with you - it could be something else, some other outside influence. But it's there. Possibly, it's having an effect. You have to figure out what it is and confront it in your mind and with your actions.

There are ways to deal - like substituting overeating low-fat popcorn instead of eating sweet stuff. Or just going on a temporary juice fast (1 day) or doing SOMETHING to buy you some time until the 'storm' passes that has overturned your boat for the moment.

In my own case, getting more aggressive with my diet would just make my life more stressful at the moment. I'm juggling too much. But that's my own personal variety of 'getting off track' problem. You can probably figure out yours.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

This is timely for me as well. I did GREAT from Jan thru March but the weather changed and my migraines came back, low barometric pressure stuff, for April and half of May...these last 2 weeks I have been just struggling to get back on track. Breakfast and lunch are fine but then I run out of steam by 2 pm and I am not doing so well with the " picking" and not exercising.

I am doing better today and everyday I am going to do better and better!!

Nancy
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

There are few of us who don't run out of steam at times. As others have said there can be a lot of reasons, stress, feeling low, tiredness and yes sometimes it's just easier to grab something you want to eat rather than work out what would be best. You have already started to lose weight so you know you can, you're having a blip at present, it's not the end of the world just don't make it the end of your journey. People do care, even if they don't tell you so but most importantly you need to care about your health, just don't beat yourself up when you stumble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.