Notices

Anyone with Sugar/Dairy/Egg/Soy sensitivities combined?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

Default Anyone with Sugar/Dairy/Egg/Soy sensitivities combined?

Just found out I can't eat processed sugar, dairy, eggs or soy after 40 years.....and I'm on a total elimination diet to remove these residuals from my body. Talk about a little challenging. This stuff is in everything! I'm actually ok with the lunch and dinner things I can eat - thank goodness I love protein, fish, veggies, and fruits. Hard time coming up with the breakfast foods. Been on this for 3 days now and feel completely re-energized already. No more migraine type headaches, no more bloating, lots more energy and sleeping so much better, and my skin is starting to look good again.

But my body is going thru total withdrawals craving the dairy and sugar...it's like being an addict.

Would love to know if anyone else out there has food sensitivities. I'm hoping to gain my eggwhites back at the end of the 30 days. I soooo miss my eggwhite omletes with fresh spinach, grape tomatoes, and celery seed for breakfast....and yogurt, gone for ever!! :-(

Hard to find recipes/menus for yummy breakfasts w/o these ingredients that give me the protein to get my day started!
Old 02-28-2010, 03:18 PM
FitDay Member

That sounds very tough to follow but Im glad your feeling better. I was wondering about having leftovers for breakfast? Whatever you have for supper ..reheat the next day? Im not sure and I dont have a recipe but could you possible make your own bread and serve with some naturel peanut butter. Could you substitute honey for the processed sugar? You could try making a compote of different fruits and sweetening it with honey? Its good warmed up for breakfast.
I love steel cut oats for breakfast and I add nutmeg, skim milk and a small handful of raisins to it...its very yummy!!! and tastes like rice pudding to me!! Its one of my favourite breakfasts...and soo good for you!
good luck!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Found a fabulous resource/recipe book!

Thanks for the great suggestions!!! It's a bit of a challenge, because I'm not allowed gluten either. And am/was I ever a bread fanatic!! Honey - the sugar thing ... this is hard, admittedly but the rewards/health benefits are outweighing the lifestyle/food change!

Did find a fabulous resource/cookbook - by JJ Virgin and Leanne Ely, called "28 Day Break Free Plan" that gives you recipes/shopping lists etc for a total elimination diet for 28 days. Very excited to try this. Did research on Leanne Ely, the "Dinner DIVA" and a bestselling author. So it's worth the $27 to me.... will let you know.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, dhh...what a challenge! Sounds like you are up to it, though, instead of crawling under the covers bemoaning the loss of your foods! Congrats on that!

How did you get diagnosed? Are you able to eat rice, and oat products? Have you checked out the gluten free products that are available? I would imagine it is difficult to find things without the processed sugar but maybe things sweetened with fruit juice or honey, like Patti suggested.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

I went through a similar elimination diet a few years ago. Bob's Red Mill makes a really good gluten-free hot cereal. You can order it on-line if you can't find it locally. And since you can't have soy, try nut milks. Many are sweetened with sugar so look for the unsweetened variety. Again, these can be ordered on-line if you can't find them in your grocery store. Amazon carries it.

And hang in there -- once you get used to it, it's not so bad. The hardest part for me was eating in restaurants. Throw yourself on the mercy of the server and tell him/her you have food allergies (even though you aren't allergic, most people don't understand "sensitivities"). Most restaurants will work with you.

Good luck!

Debbie
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks you guys! Such great feedback.

Got diagnosed when I was having a multitude of food senstivity sideaffects that were really hindering my day-to-day life. Constant bloating, though I'm very tall (6') and thin (by anyone else's standards -- I'm just very athletic so the 18 extra pounds I gained after 5 months of surgeries last Fall, medicine sideaffects and no workout capability, left me very uncomfortable and lethargic). The other sideaffects were incredible headaches, no energy, ridiculous cravings even though I was already full, bad skin, I looked like I aged 10 years overnight, thin/dull hair, total insomnia/irritability, memory loss.

Funny all those things can be attributed to toxins in your body, that most people don't even realize....not old age!! LOL (I'm only in my 40's)

The education process has been really enlightening. People don't realize that your body craves the things it shouldn't have.

I've found out about Coconut Milk which is amazing; honey is catastrophic for me....sends my blood sugar to the moon!

They will try weaning me back onto some of my lower sensitivities - egg whites I'm truly hoping. Won't ever see dairy (the MAJOR source of my skin problems - that was shocking!!), or sugar or soy.

Can't wait to get my new cookbook that is gluten/sugar/soy/dairy/egg free -- but all in all, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE every fresh fruit, veggie, chicken/fish/pork....so not so bad. And a glass of red wine or so isn't bad for me either. So hey -- life is good!!! :-)

debbie
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 AM
FitDay Member

I have been eating dairy, soy, oat, and wheat free for seven months now and it is challenging but very doable. My daughter has severe allergies to both dairy and soy, wheat and oats, since I am breastfeeding I must go without them as well. You pretty much have to eat all whole foods, nothing processed because dairy and soy especially are in just about everything.

Reading labels is a must. There are hidden ingrediants in lots of foods and spices. Canned vegetable stock, chicken stock, mayonaise, seasoning salts, marinades, canned soups. Everything has to made from scratch.... which can be a hassle with three little kids running around. I still haven't found a salad dressing that is allergy friendly, so I just make my own vinagrette in small batches to keep in the fridge. When I crave something salty I grab a pickle, or something creamy I reach for avacados. No one seems to understand just how difficult it is because they never read labels until they have to go without. Good luck to you!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM
FitDay Member

oh I hope the book helps you out....good luck!!!