Notices

time for me

Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default time for me

Hi everyone! I am a teacher of 30 years and a doctoral student writing the dreaded dissertation! I am taking the summer to get myself fit. I would love to lose 15 pounds and get back in shape. I hate exercise, and that is my main problem. The stress I live under is working against me. Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default join a gym or exercise class

Join a gym and attend some of the classes regularily. Or find a class to sign up for through the city or rec center. Then it can become more of a social thing and you can make some new friends. Then it is easier to exercise because you want to see friends.

I am a morning person and would suggest that you try to find a morning class and then work on your dissertation afterward. You will probably think better and have a feeling of accomplishment afterward. If you are not a morning person, find an afternoon or evening class that will give you a break.

Try to make exercise a habit and just do it, like brushing your teeth. You might not like it at first, but just keep doing it because you should. Know that you will have good days and bad days.

Another thing I do is download entertaining books to my iPod. Then only listen to them when I exercise. If the book is good, I want to listen to it more and it makes exercise more fun.

Good luck
Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

I was always one who said I hate running. The fact was I was just so out of shape I felt bad when I tried. The more I walked, jogged, ran and the more fit I became the more I liked running. It will never be my favorite exercise but I can enjoy being outside and running now although I would much rather lift weights.

Find something you can tolerate. Maybe that is fitness videos, swimming, water aerobics, walking or strength/weight training. There are lots of options you just need one to start.