View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I don't know about that yahoo paragraph. There are lots of studies out there and unless you're looking at them, the allusion to SOME studies can be pretty persuasive, without seeing the other studies, too.

What I do know is that you don't have to do much to have fat flooding into your diet. I try to NOT add any fat to my normal diet and I still come up with percentages like yesterday's - 24% - just because so much fat is added to food and is a component of so many natural foods. This is not a big deal, it's just that fat has 9 calories a gram (compared to 4 calories a gram for carbs and protein) so it's easy to eat a lot more calories.

I try to watch the saturated fat, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat percentages on fitday. I cannot imagine how to get 30% monounsaturated fat. I get 10% on a good day - using Benecol spread and Smart Balance Peanut Butter (both are high in monounsaturated fat and low in saturated fat). There are monounsaturated fats in meats, for example, but they are matched and exceeded by saturated fats in the same meats. I think it would be really a feat to have 30% monounsaturated fat show up on the fitday chart that accompanies the food log.
Kathy13118 is offline   Reply With Quote