Notices

please help! too many carbs.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

Default please help! too many carbs.

I was peeking around online and it seems that in order for me to lose weight I should be consuming no more than 60g carbs a day. Today I had 197! Would someone mind looking at my food log? I don't know what to eat that is low carb. I am vegetarian and I rely on things like oatmeal to fill me up. Thanks for any help- I have 60 lbs to lose and if I continue eating more than triple the recommended number of carbs it will never happen!
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...avybutlosingit

Last edited by heavybutlosingit; 02-27-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 PM
FitDay Member

When I clicked on your link it took me to MY food log!! LOL!! I guess it doesn't work that45 way!

Where did you read that 60 carbs a day was sufficient? I totally disagree with that. Even diabetics, eating a healthy diet are supposed to eat 45 g of carbs per MEAL! Because there are carbs in veggies, in fruit, in milk..there is just no way to eat healthy at 60 g of carbs a day...unless you are doing one of those really high protein diets, which I am not sure is possible if you are a vegetarian anyways.

Try and aim for the 45 g of carbs per meal, and those should be NET carbs (total carb g minus fibre g = net carbs). That should be a healthy amount of carbs and still promote weight loss. Be sure you are eating healthy carbs, whole wheat, whole grains, oats, etc. And avoid the "white" carbs..potatoes, white rice, white bread, white sugar, etc.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

OOPS! I am still learning. I think I figured out how to post my day...

I thought "make my journal public" was my diary of thoughts and mood and stuff. ha!

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Just my two cents

I got the same result clicking on the link.

I have done a lot of researching and I think that carbs are getting a really bad rap in some circles. Or at least, restricting them or overdoing them does not have any impact on how I personally lose weight or my health, at this point. Most days my carbs are around 55%; sometimes 65%. But I am losing weight and I just had a physical and my triglycerides (which I think measure sugar/fat caused by carbs? not sure) are at 45...supposed to be below 150. So the carbs aren't holding me back.

People get paranoid about carbs, but the truth is that you can find something on the internet to support any position you want. If you are really in doubt, contact a dietician/nutritionist.

I really believe that if you are smart about the kinds of carbs you eat, like Kathie said, restricting them because of something that someone wrote online is going to frustrate you and you will give up more quickly. Stick with the whole grains, fruits, veggies, dairy (if you do dairy), and you should be okay.

I realize that this is a controversial position, but I don't think it's any different from some diets that tell you to eat everything but carbs...including artery-clogging fatty foods.

The bottom line is that you need to find what works for you personally, or you won't stick with it and incorporate it into your lifestyle.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I got the food journal. How long have you been trying to lose weight? Maybe I can't figure out how to access it, but I only see 2 days in your log. If you haven't been at it for a while, my suggestion would be not to change it if you don't know it's not working for you yet. Do you have a plan (ratios of the macronutrients, calories, something else)?

I go by the numbers...calories in, calories out, since that is the basis of weight loss (not necessarily health, though...you can eat all your calories in junk food and burn it off and be unhealthy). Is there a reason you're focusing more on carbs?

I say this all the time...think about what will work for YOU. Then if you get stuck, or if it's not healthy, tweak it. It's a learning process; trial and error. You will get there .
Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you! It is funny- my mom called me a few days ago to ask how many carbs she shoudl have to lose weight and I told her she was just falling into the low- carb trap. And here I am doing the same thing! I lost weight years ago without even counting carbs... and as a vegetarian I do rely on whole grains to fill me up. I am going to look more at calories and less at carbs and see where that takes me.

Thank you both again!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Carbs

For carbs, I find them essential. The key is the right type - nothing white or packaged. In fact the brains main source of energy is glucose (from carbs); otherwise many people get 'brain fog'. Vegetables and fruits are excellent and whole grains like spelt, millet, oats, quinoa.

From my experience for someone to have proper sustained weightloss the buildup of toxins have to come out. This is because toxins are stored by the body in your fat cells - this is a protective mechanism. If weight comes off but toxins stay in the body the toxins will be concentrated and the body will gain again.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by heavybutlosingit
I was peeking around online and it seems that in order for me to lose weight I should be consuming no more than 60g carbs a day. Today I had 197! Would someone mind looking at my food log? I don't know what to eat that is low carb. I am vegetarian and I rely on things like oatmeal to fill me up. Thanks for any help- I have 60 lbs to lose and if I continue eating more than triple the recommended number of carbs it will never happen!
Carbs!!!!!
I hate it when so many carbs come from much needed but extremely healthy basmati brown rice,& steel cut oats!
I love my fruits and vegies, too!
But I think that as I learn more about options, portion size and combinations this will make more sense, and new healthier life style will come out of this.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

Expectyourmiracle: all plants are carbs. So really, there's no way that 60g of carbs per day is healthy for a vegan. When I was on Atkins that was about the carb count after I did the initial start up weight loss, and 60g is still considered low carb. Maybe you were on one of the low-carb weight loss sites or something. Try going to another site or read some books specific to vegans and weightloss that give you carb grams. Take care!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 AM
FitDay Member

Talking So glad to know it's not just me!

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I got the same result clicking on the link.

I have done a lot of researching and I think that carbs are getting a really bad rap in some circles. Or at least, restricting them or overdoing them does not have any impact on how I personally lose weight or my health, at this point. Most days my carbs are around 55%; sometimes 65%. But I am losing weight and I just had a physical and my triglycerides (which I think measure sugar/fat caused by carbs? not sure) are at 45...supposed to be below 150. So the carbs aren't holding me back.

People get paranoid about carbs, but the truth is that you can find something on the internet to support any position you want. If you are really in doubt, contact a dietician/nutritionist.

I really believe that if you are smart about the kinds of carbs you eat, like Kathie said, restricting them because of something that someone wrote online is going to frustrate you and you will give up more quickly. Stick with the whole grains, fruits, veggies, dairy (if you do dairy), and you should be okay.

I realize that this is a controversial position, but I don't think it's any different from some diets that tell you to eat everything but carbs...including artery-clogging fatty foods.

The bottom line is that you need to find what works for you personally, or you won't stick with it and incorporate it into your lifestyle.

Oh my goodness! I so thought I was doing something totally wrong. My carbs have been around 50 - 60 % and I just couldn't understand it considering how many fruits and veggies I eat. I thought I was never going to lose weight if eating fruits and veggies were wrong...lol