Notices

How to get enough fiber for a day?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default How to get enough fiber for a day?

Hi, I have been diet for a while but not really pay attention to how much protein or carb or fiber I eat a day. I just focus on cals. Recently, I pay attention to it and realize that I didn't have enough fiber.
On day that I eat a lot of vegetable I have roughly about 11g - 15 g is max. Today I eat 1 and 1/2 cup of dark green leaf, 1.2 banana, rice, bread. Total FD said I have 5.4 g of fiber.
How can I get 25g of fiber a day? What kind of food should I eat to get more fiber?
Any idea? I will appreciate.
Mai
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

My fiber usually comes from various veggies (especially broccoli), fruits (especially pears, apples, raspberries), nuts, bran, oatmeal, popcorn, brown rice, cereal, and whole wheat pasta.

Beans and legumes have a TON of fiber, but I abhor them...all of them. If you like them, it would be an easy way for you to boost your fiber grams per day.

I make it a point to get to 25 grams a day. A high fiber diet has a lot of benefits for your overall health.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

Apples have 3-5 grams of fiber each, depending on size. You can also get lots of granola bars that have added fiber.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi lastri,
I agree, it can be hard to get enough fiber, especially when you are trying to keep the carbs under control. It is a real battle for me. I almost always get my recommended veggies and fruit, but even then can't reach 25g without some sort of supplement.

Beans, and other legumes like edemame (soybeans) have lots of fiber and since (unlike Cassie) I love them I tend to rely heavily on beans. Oatmeal is a great source, although it is usually a breakfast treat I skip when I'm trying to drop pounds.

I will often resort to supplements like metamucile. Staves of the hungrys for a while, adds 5 to 10 g fiber, helps lower bad cholesterol, and keeps the lower GI tract running smooth. I also use Fiber One products as sweet treats rather than a cookie or other sweet (assuming I have room in the calorie balance).

Spend some time search the grocery shelves. You may come up with some unique ideas of your own!

Pam
Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 PM
FitDay Member

I googled the difference between FIBER and FIBRE and it's the same like TIRE/TYRE. Just a spelling variation.

My fibre comes from wholegrain bread, fruit (1 banana has 3.5g) Quorn (veggie meat) has 6g in 100g and from homemade sauce of onions and tomatoes. It all adds up. Also, consider if you have some custom foods, maybe you didn't enter fibre when you were creating them.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 AM
FitDay Member

I also struggle with a low fiber diet, so I tend to supplement my diet with Metamucil products in order to get my daily recommended amounts.

Last edited by mecompco; 02-17-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Sorry, commercial links selling products aren't allowed. Anyone interested can Google it themselves. :-)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you all for your advices.
I guess I didn't eat enough whole grain, bean, or fruits. I would try a little harder.
I take some psyllium occasionally, but I don't want to depend on it.
Muna, I think you might be right. I should add all the things on the label too.

Thank you so much.
Mai
Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
FitDay Member

Default Fiber sources

I would say that Fiber supplements are generally unnecessary as there are plenty of foods that will give you all that you need. As for 25 grams that is the generally accepted RDA, but most people need more. You don't want to go nuts with it as too much fiber is unhealthy, but 40-50 grams is okay.

Most days I'm between 35-50 grams. what I typically use is:

Oatmeal — two servings, I use Bob's Red Mill steelcut oats or 10-grain hot cereal.

Multi-grain wraps — some are 10-12 grams per wrap for 100 calories

Lentils — add a little spice to them and they're great, and 10-12 grams

Usually, add one of these things to the diet each day and this is about a third of my target to get over 35 grams.

After that, whole grain cereals, veggies and fruits.

As budget is a concern for most of us, the wraps are a little pricey; oatmeal and lentils are dirt cheap. Good luck with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

I find cereal really helps with my fiber. I choose a tasty high fiber cereal (Corn Bran is good) and mix it with some Allbran/Fiber-First type cereal (my husband calls it "worms").

I also like to mix in some ground up fiber cereal in pasta sauce.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Kate
Old 05-14-2011, 10:54 PM
FitDay Member

beans, cereals, (check the label) fruits, vegetables, oatmeal, mixed in with ground beef or turkey. Some fiber supplements, like metamucil or fiberall, or benefiber, this gives you an extra water boost when mixed in water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.