Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
My mother in law >

My mother in law

Community
Notices

My mother in law

Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Brilliant Post Kathy! I love the view that our overall challenge is to live with the world we have. And you are so right, trying to change the area your MIL is proud of will result in family problems!

Abby
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
FitDay Member

Seconding Kathy's excellent advice.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Abby, can you get any kind of guideline from your sister at all? I know that as a mom, if I were going to someone's home, I would LOVE it if they asked me what would be good suggestions to have for my child to eat. I know that I personally would let mine have a balance between things that would be considered treats and healthy things, and I'd give a lot of leeway and flexibility. It could still be a surprise for the kids, and you would feel great knowing that they enjoyed what they had and that everyone (including their mom) was happy.

If you don't want to go that route and you think your sister might balk at cookies, you could always find a recipe for some healthier ones, like oatmeal raisin with flax meal and bran, or carrot cake, you get the idea.

Enjoy the visit!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

I have the same problem but with my father in law. We bought a duplex and he lives in the other half. So our boys want to go raid his cupboards every night and never eat dinner.

I try and get them full before we go, find something healthy that they like and give it to them before you go there they will be less likely to pig out.

We dont try and stop it, I think the Grandparents should be able to spoil the kids. Just limit the chances they get to do it and teach the kids about what it does to them.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

Kathy, That is a very good advice. I guess the problem is mine. I don't have the will power to stay control. Just like buffet, you pay 1 price and eat as much as you can. Here I don't have to pay and the food is so much better than buffet.
I know I eat it not because my body needs, just because it's in front of me.
I should not even start this thread. She is a good mother in a lot of way.
mai
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM
FitDay Member

Abby,
I think it's really up to your sister in law. What are their diet? I know if someone who is not into diet or healthy eating, they would not like it when you try to force healthy food to them.
Ask her what she think about your plan, your menu? She probaly let you know.
Have fun,
Mai