Repairing the Damage
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a little mentoring, constructive criticism, and motivation.
I'm in my mid-thirties and I nearly self-destructed over the past five years. I am a former athlete and military man that stayed in shape until my late twenties. I was an on-and-off gym-rat that dabbled in supplementing via creatines and whey proteins. After leaving the military, my wife and I had our first child. Throughout my wife's pregnancy, I gained the weight with her. I was around 215 pounds and in fairly good shape before...and here it is 5 years later and I'm over 290.
I'm a bit overwhelmed since I let things get so out of hand. I get out of breath going up stairs sometimes...and even tying my shoes can be a pain in the ass with my big gut in the way. The biggest problem is that while I knew I was getting huge...I never changed the things I did. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I noticed I had to rock to get up from the couch...and found out I couldn't zipline at our whitewater center because I was over the weight limit. How embarrassing!
I started working out again a little over a month ago. I had been walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes about 3 days a week, and lifting weights in a push/pull/legs fashion. My eating and sleeping habits hadn't been addressed much...as I know they should.
So today is the day I start rectifying all of this. I had been having a hard time staying motivated...but going anyhow. My gym partner was a bit lazy and doesn't really understand the gym and excercise overall. I'm not new to this, but it has been a while.
Here's where I stand right now:
1. Diet...plans are to can the cans...and stick with proteins and fresh veggies
2. Supplements: NO XPLODE, Tribulus from ON, Green Tea Extract, and Muscle Milk after my workout
3. My sleep habits suck as I tend to stay up late...I'm trying to rectify this with a bed and wake time
4. Along with my bad sleeping, I tend to eat at night...I know this is horrible
5. Beer...frankly...I like good beer...I figure...and ONLY on the weekend attitude must happen...even though I love a full-flavored beer or two at the end of the day.
6. Motivation: I want to get back in shape...and need to figure out how to overcome a wishy-washy workout partner (thank God for my Ipod).
7. Goals: I want to be around 200-210 pounds again, I want my gut gone, and I want some lean muscles again. I have two kids and a wife...so meals become the issue sometimes.
8. My statistics: Male
* Any help or suggestions anybody may have would be appreciated. Ideas for supplementing or working out...or any tricks or advice. I am a person that actually uses constructive criticism to improve.
**and thank you to any of you that took the time to read this