Notices

Motivation coming and going...

Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivation coming and going...

Hey all. Probably just being weak by saying this, but I am just having a hard time getting myself going on this journey. I know what I need to do, as far as what I eat and drink, and my excersise. But it seems like every time it comes to that point of, "should I really eat this", or " I'm just gonna skip working out tonight", i fold like a paper towel. Just wanting a little motivational words I guess. Any positive words are aprreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by bkhall79; 05-03-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi BK,

I get it. I've been there myself! Usually when that happens I think "What'll happen if I DO eat this..." or "So what if I DON'T exercise?"...and my answer is always the same. I'm only hurting (or really...not helping) myself. No one asked me to lose weight and get into shape. I made that decision all on my own. So if I decide to eat a piece of cake, or a ho-ho, it doesn't hurt anyone but myself. If I decide to skip working out...it's not going to hurt anyone. But on the other hand if I DON'T eat that ho-ho, or go ahead and exercise...I can be proud of myself for carrying out MY decision. And whatever I do that's good, is certainly only going to help me in the end (and thighs and stomach..).

I don't know if that was motivational for you or not, but that's how I usually get myself back on the right track. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Erin! Ya that is what I am looking for. Its so easy for me to sit on the couch or at my computer and say, "ya I can do this easily!" But then when it comes down to it, well u know the rest. Thanks again for taking the time to comment....I will keep updating my sig with my results.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Hi BK,

Sometimes it feels like I have a motivation crisis every day. I get home from work, my feet are sore, my brain is tired, and I just want to curl up with a good book, or in front of the boob tube, with a snack and a glass of wine.

But then what happens the next day, and the day after that? As erin says -- sure, I'm not hurting anyone, but I'm definitely not helping myself.

Tell you a secret -- I don't really LIKE exercising, even after 4 months of this. I still have to work myself up to go. But when I'm done, even when I don't have a runner's high or an endorphin rush, I DO get that satisfaction of knowing I did something good for myself, and knowing that I'm meeting a goal. Sometimes setting daily goals is all you need, rather than a big yearly goal, monthly goals, or even weekly goals. You can do this! I look forward to seeing your progress!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

I've had mornings when I didn't want to exercise, and when that happens, I just fall back on the fact that I PROMISED myself that I'd lose this weight and get in shape. It's sort of a "Yeah, you don't feel like it, but DO IT ANYWAY" thing. The hardest part is starting it. Once it's started, you're not going to quit...because you FEEL better. As far as eating is concerned, I find it's better to allow yourself an occasional treat, rather than to try to tell yourself that you're not permitted certain foods. A little variety, whether it's in the type of exercise or the menu, keeps things interesting and cuts down on feelings of failure and the urge to beat yourself up. Just do it.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

The public service announcement: I don't know if this will be helpful or annoying to hear, but it might help to think about working out as kind of not an option. Like taking a shower, or brushing your teeth - it's just one of those hygiene maintenance things that's got to be done. I.e. - make it about habit and practice, not motivation.

Even if it's a brisk walk around the neighbourhood, or an easy yoga session - your body, which has a legacy of hunting, gathering, and making, needs 30 mins* of something a day to counteract the sedentary ills of post-industrial society. It keeps your mind sharp. It softens lousy moods. Helps to mitigate other health issues that'll creep on you as you enter your thirties (cholesterol, diabetes, bone issues).

The self-esteem argument: You will be amazed at how you feel about yourself if you commit to this. You'll see differences in your body. You'll be impressed with your performance achievements, as you see yourself lifting stronger, or running further, or improving your game or flexibility. You'll walk taller. Your confidence, though rooted in the simple body, will bleed over into other areas of life. Others will notice the changes. And as mentioned, your mood will improve - even on the days you don't feel like it. (One of the things I like about running (or learning to run) is that I can just pound out frustrations when I'm angry, and if I'm sad, it cheers me up... I feel even better when I do things outside, and feel the sun, hear the birds, all that jazz.

*The WHO says it's more like an hour, now, but 30 mins is doable to start with

Last edited by pinenutcasserole; 05-03-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

I use baby steps. When my alarm goes off at the ungodly early time I set so that I can fit in a workout before work, I usually do not want to get up. Getting enough sleep helps. But I end up having to talk myself into it. Sometimes I tell myself to just get up and get a cup of coffee and see how I feel. By that time I am awake so I get out the door. If I am still having motivation issues then I tell myself just to change into workout gear. Then I tell myself I only have to workout for a few minutes and if I don't feel good then I will stop. Usually if I get started I will finish the workout.

Other times I try to tell myself that I will exercise "later". Then I try to figure out when and plan my day. If I can't figure out when "later" is then I will try to get up and just get it done.

Just last week, I decided that I was going to bike to work, but I didn't really feel like it when I woke up in the dark. It was the morning of the royal wedding, so I watched that and drank my coffee for about half and hour and then the morning was nice and I was awake, so I went and got my gear on.

I also download and listen to books while I workout. I love listening to books, but you might get some of your favorite books or music that you only listen to when working out.

Some people recommend mixing up workouts, but sometimes the routine works too so that you don't have to think about what you are doing, you just do it. Like a chore or brushing your teeth.

You are not weak. You are just like the rest of us and this is just a problem that you need to solve for yourself and move forward. That is part of the whole journey. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bkhall79
Thanks Erin! Ya that is what I am looking for. Its so easy for me to sit on the couch or at my computer and say, "ya I can do this easily!" But then when it comes down to it, well u know the rest. Thanks again for taking the time to comment....I will keep updating my sig with my results.
I'm right there with you. In my brain I've got it all figured out - eat less, exercise more, avoid trigger foods, etc. But in real life, one temptation, one cranky interaction with someone and it goes out the window. I guess all I can say is that it's normal. I like what Erin said about the fact that it's only going to hurt/not help me. I'll try keeping that in mind next time I want to give up.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback! I feel good about where this is going and I am excited for a new day tomorrow!
ps - I DID workout tonight! Lol
Old 05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bkhall79
Hey all. Probably just being weak by saying this, but I am just having a hard time getting myself going on this journey. I know what I need to do, as far as what I eat and drink, and my excersise. But it seems like every time it comes to that point of, "should I really eat this", or " I'm just gonna skip working out tonight", i fold like a paper towel. Just wanting a little motivational words I guess. Any positive words are appreciated.
Thanks
OK, well, I just want to warn you not to be me.
I was 31 once.
I still am 6'1".

When I got married in 1980 I was 24 and weighed 230, the weight I played football at. I gained about 5 pounds a year for all 30 years I was married. Not a lot you might think. BUT 5 X 30 = 150 plus 230 = 380. I started this fitday weight loss lifestyle change at 370. YOU have a choice, be me OR not. Work that weight back down by choosing a sensible lifestyle, being mindful of what you eat and carefully selecting the occasions you cut lose.

I recommend you choose to not be me. It didn't serve me all that well.