Notices

Question about sugar...

Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
FitDay Member

Default Question about sugar...

I am not some sugar addict... anymore. I know there are alternatives out there, but I feel that they will eventually find something wrong with them also.

I usually have a half of cup of oatmeal each morning with some cinnamon and sugar. Is three teaspoons of sugar too much? I mean it is morning, and I am not consuming added sugar the rest of the day.

Okay? Or not?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898
I am not some sugar addict... anymore. I know there are alternatives out there, but I feel that they will eventually find something wrong with them also.

I usually have a half of cup of oatmeal each morning with some cinnamon and sugar. Is three teaspoons of sugar too much? I mean it is morning, and I am not consuming added sugar the rest of the day.

Okay? Or not?
White sugar is the devil.
If you really need to sweeten it up,try honey or raw sugar. I would normally use some banana or raw blueberries to sweeten up oatmeal.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

I think as long as you keep your cals in budget you ok. I know, refine carb are bad but i can't live without white stuff, so I limit it in my cals budget.
1tsp sugar=16 cals so you have about 58 cals from sugar, I don't think that too bad.
I rather have sugar than chemical sweetener.
Mai
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lastri
I think as long as you keep your cals in budget you ok. I know, refine carb are bad but i can't live without white stuff, so I limit it in my cals budget.
1tsp sugar=16 cals so you have about 58 cals from sugar, I don't think that too bad.
I rather have sugar than chemical sweetener.
Mai
You'll never reach your goal by cutting corners like that- you have to keep focused. I found losing weight to be just as mentally demanding as the physical side of it.
There's plenty of natural options to satsify the sweet tooth-
Just say'n......
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

I think everyone has to decide on their own trade offs. I feel that if you're overly rigid, you're more likely to give up. The mental part of it can kill you in that way, too.

I don't think it's fair to tell someone they'll never reach their goals, based on one tiny little piece of information and not knowing the rest of their plan. For example, I don't eat perfectly, but I eat nutritiously most of the time. I'll never give up frozen yogurt, but I reached all my goals: I'm 43 years old, have a BMI of 19.5, and a body fat of 18-19%.

We all have to find our own way through this. Yes, we have to be honest with ourselves, but what works for some doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 05-03-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I don't think it's fair to tell someone they'll never reach their goals, based on one tiny little piece of information and not knowing the rest of their plan. For example, I don't eat perfectly, but I eat nutritiously most of the time. I'll never give up frozen yogurt, but I reached all my goals: I'm 43 years old, have a BMI of 19.5, and a body fat of 18-19%.
Point taken-I'll be sure to type with kid gloves on next time I respond to a post
Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I am on my way to my goal and I still have white sugar in my coffee in the am. don't worry about this perfectionism thing..no one is perfect nor should we strive to be so rigid that we break from the stress..relax a bit and enjoy your life while striving for a balance you can live with. Ask yourself, "How much fun am I too live with?"...important question to my mind! and all this is said IMHO.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

One other point I would like to make. The further I go into my 'program' the more changes I make ( I eat lentils..me!!lol ) so you will find, most likely, that you will gather information and make changes in your habits. I no longer eat red meat and for health reasons don't eat wheat and have cut down on dairy by about 95% ... So things can and do change. I am constantly learning and find that a huge joy in life - so live long and prosper!!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

Have you considered looking for a different way to sweeten things? Personally I like a little maple syrup, not stuff they sell at the grocery store for pancakes, but the real McCoy and it's incredibly yummy on oatmeal. DH likes honey. I still use white sugar occasionally, but I find more and more often I can find a way to avoid it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

In addition to almeeker's suggestions, raw sugar and agave syrup are good, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.