Notices

Help Please

Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Help Please

I have just signed up and don't know how many calories per day I should have. How do I figure that out?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Elizabethgem
I have just signed up and don't know how many calories per day I should have. How do I figure that out?
Hi Elizabeth!
Welcome to FitDay. There are all sorts of tools available on this site, but it is a bit daunting figuring out where to start.

For an estimate of how many calories you might need to just maintain your current weight, start by clicking the "weight" tab at the top and fill in the information. Then go to the "activities" section and start looking at the selections for your average daily activities - not including any exercise. Most people here are in the "seated" or "seated with some movement" catagory. You have some options regarding how your calorie demands are calculated - I usually go with the option that results in the lowest calories.

Lots of us think that the number (usually between 1800 and 2200 for most women - higher if you are pretty large) is on the high side. For example my daily calorie requirement according to Fitday's calcs is about 1850. But in reality experience has shown me that it is closer to 1750. But this is the part where we have to say "everyone is different" and everyone has to figure some of this stuff out with time and experience.

Now, once you have your "maintenance" level, you can start testing how many calories less in a day you will need to eat in order to actually lose weight. Try the "weight goal" tab to explore what your weight goal might be and how fast you can there. Basically for women think about 1 to 2 pounds (tops) per week if you are really working hard. Many of us are more in the 2 to 3 lbs per month catagory .

Still confused??? Post back and I am sure you will get lots of help. You might also post in the Women's corner - if you haven't already.

Good luck and we are all in this together!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thank you very much, very helpful!