Notices

Extra skin. What to do??

Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default Extra skin. What to do??

Hello! I have lose 20 pounds in 1 month. And I have to lose 30 pounds more. What to do with my "extra" skin?? How you manage it? Help! Help!!

Last edited by Ladka; 04-29-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Short of surgery, I don't think there is much one can do. If you build some muscle under it, it may get tighter and may a bit over time anyway. It's not pretty, but it beats being fat!

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Michael.
I have joined a gym. But I am losing my weight faster, than I will build muscles.
How about the long term fasting? Probably my body will "eat" the extra skin. Or massage? Or body wraps? Thanks!!

Last edited by Ladka; 04-29-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: ;) fasting!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

I have heard that slower weight loss gives you better elasticity in your skin and makes it easier for it to "shrink to fit" your new body.

But I don't think 20 pounds in a month counts as slow weight loss; that may be why you are noticing it. Maybe if you slow down your rate of loss, that will help.

Your body will NOT "eat" the extra skin, and wraps and the like are temporary solutions that draw out water.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Hello. Now I lose about 2 pounds per week. Is it to much? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

One to two pounds per week is considered a safe loss medically that is more likely to stay off, but I don't know how that amount in particular would affect excess skin...I would think it would be okay.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default extra skin

not being a smart a but I went to a Bariatric seminar and this question was asked. Doctors answer short of unnecessary and expensive plastic surgury thats what clothes are for. Since then I've noticed folks with gigantic weight lose always are dressed very nicely
Old 05-06-2011, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

No idea if it's really true, but fans of dry skin brushing claim that it may help with the loose skin problem. It's generally meant to be a very healthy thing to do.

I'd also look into what women do about more or less the same problem when they give birth, as that's basically a very sudden form of weight loss. Moisturising and exercise spring to mind.

And yes, 1-2lb per week is the figure that's always quoted as the best speed for weight loss.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 AM
FitDay Member

They younger you are the more elastic your skin should be. Since I don't have that advantage I am doing everything I can to increase the elasticity - hoping my skin will snap back a bit at least. I have been taking Biosil -- which is to help the elastin in your skin. I am switching to a prodauct for hair, nails and skin. Even if they don't prevent the loose skin they do help with smooth skin and better nails. I also use lotions for moisture. I agree that most of us look better in clothes anyway. If I reach my goal and have a real problem with loose skin I may opt for surgery -- a great use of the old age pension I'll start getting in Sept. LOL Mary
Old 05-06-2011, 05:38 PM
FitDay Member

Anything that improves overall health will probably help the skin recover, so good nutrition is essential. I also used compression clothing. Always exercised wearing compression clothing to support the skin and the deep under layers of the skin. You certainly don't need the skin stretching any more! I swear sauna also seemed to work.

Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.