Notices

Stuck on a plateau club - join me

Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Pam,

My BMI is at 23, but I want it to be at 18. I'm 5'5, 130 pounds and I'm a size 8. I hold all my weight in my stomach. I'm an apple shape, so staying at 130 is not going to work out for me. I look pregnant and I'm asked if I'm pregnant at least twice a month. If my weight was evenly distributed through my body I wouldn't be as obsessed with this.

I've been there, giving up because it wasn't working for me. I was starting to gain weight even though I was working out all the time and I finally said, 'to hell with this,' and went on a binge eating and drinking spree, but I felt really bad after, so I realized that I wasn't doing it just for the weight, but for myself as well.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm just so upset that I can't at least shake 2 pounds. I'm half tempted to try fasting.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Aces,
OK, I understand better.

I definitely understand not being able to shake 2 or 3 lousy pounds - I'm pretty much there too.

Fasting might help shake up your metabolism, but I usually find that I just gain the weight back in pretty short order. However, there are other benefits, like all of a sudden realizing how inudated we are with food adverising, smells, and expectations. For that reason alone I recommend fasting for 4 or 5 days.

But I don't think that it will help you with our concerns (just my opinion here).

I do think that the weight training will help a lot - especially if you can afford some professional guidence. I think at this point in your experience hiring a physical trainer for a couple of sessions would be really helpful. You may be aware from other posts of mine that I am an avid Crossfit athelete. It might not be for you, but I suggest that you at least check it out. (moderators: I am not advertising here, just expressing my experience). It is like having a personal trainer everytime you go to work out.

The best advise I have every recieve and can ever impart: Do not give up!!!

Pam
Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Pam,

I'm going into day 2 of my fasting. I felt really good after day 1. It wasn't particularly hard to fast for 24 hours, which is the reason why I'm trying out day two. I had a little ping of hunger after 6 hours, then I went for a walk (90 minute walk to the store and back) and it passed, but other than that I wasn't particularly hungry all day, weird. I didn't feel bloated or gassy yesterday during my fasting and I was really excited about that.

I woke up this morning looking and feeling pretty thin. Then I went for my 5.6 mile run this morning. Side note: Im trying to work up my mileage to 10 miles a day. I noticed that I got bloated after my run. I had never noticed this before. I don't know if there is some type of inflammation going on in my stomach or something.

I'm trying to work out if my huge stomach is coming from a reaction to food. I know I'm lactose intolerant, and people who are lactose intolerant can also have a gluten intolerance as well. :/

I'll look up crossfit because I can't afford a trainer. I'm not going to give up I am just having trouble believing that it takes more than 6 months to lose 15-10 pounds.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Fasting...

Hi Aces,
Have you all of a sudden become so aware of how surrounded you are by all the food advertising? This is something that just came as a shock and a revelation to me the first time I fasted for 3 days.

It is possible that you do, indeed, have some food intolerance issues. Fasting and then selectively adding back certain foods may give you some clues. And help you identify foods to avoid in the future.

Good luck with the fast. But please be aware that most likely much of the weight you see disappearing on the scale is water.

Also good luck with finding a weight lifting program that fits into your life. It took me a couple years and false starts before I found Crossfit. And while it isn't for everyone, it definitely had changed the way my body is composed

Last edited by RunbikeSki; 04-24-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: the usual spelling errors
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Pam,

Yes, I became very aware of the food advertisements. My favorite show is Supernatural and they always have the main character eating a hamburger! No wonder I get the munchies and cravings for junk food. Its like a former smoker having to sit through a movie, on repeat, where all they do is smoke. God I hate the manipulation game that marketing plays on all of us.

I didn't weigh myself at all during that time. I won't weigh myself until May 1st and by then I hope to see some pounds lost, hopefully at least just one.

I love how I look after fasting now I just need to figure out how to make myself look like that and eat!

I just have to keep telling myself, let's work out and go to the gym.