Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
egmdobbs
FitDay Member

Default New here

Hi all!

I am new here and looking for some support from some fellow women. I have a long, long story about my struggles with weight loss, as I'm sure we all do. I grew up always being a "bigger" girl - I was tall, big boned, overweight, and gawky. My family also struggled with weight issues, so I never learned how to have a healthy relationship with food and a healthy lifestyle. However, in college, I taught myself how to be healthy, but I yo-yo'd back and forth depending on the semester, the year, or the stress level. I was 225 pounds in 2005 when I was in grad school, and by the time my wedding rolled around in September 2006, I had shred myself to 155 pounds and a size 6 with heavy duty weight lifting and cardio intervals, and tracking foods on Fitday. My husband and I got really into bodybuilding and both were in fantastic shape for our wedding, but like most, I slipped a little after the wedding and gained about 15 pounds back. After that, however, I decided I wanted to try distance running. I started training for my first half-marathon in January 2008 and completed it in May 2008. However, I put on another 15 pounds from running because with hour-long runs a few times a week, I was always starving! Then in June 2008, I found out I was pregnant with our first child. I stopped exercising - doctor's orders - and gained 40 pounds during pregnancy. Then in February 2009, I was laid off from my job the day before my son was born, so I spent 6 months unemployed, depressed, and trying to learn how to be a mom. Needless to say, the 40 pounds I gained during pregnancy did NOT come off. I finally have a good job now a year after my son was born, but I'm 235 pounds, out of shape, and unhappy with how I feel and look. I know how to eat healthy and how to exercise, but with working 40+ hours a week and being a mom, it's harder to do than it was in college. I just need some support and I hope I can find some here!
Thanks for listening!
egmdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote