Notices

Just started this weekend

Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Just started this weekend

I stepped on the scale and looked in the mirror this weekend and couldn't believe my eyes. I was always tiny. Small build and skinny...but slowly things started catching up with me. My husband would NEVER say it..but wow...I look terrible and feel terrible. I started at 137 this weekend. May not seem like a huge number but I am 5'2" with a small frame. So every pound shows. I have a goal of 115 by July 1st. Which is 1.78 lbs a week. I just need motivation. I have never worried about diet so I really dont know what to do. I am down to 133 today, but am worried that I am not losing correctly because I am just eating very little, but starting to run/walk and do some weight lifting. I had gotten some Jillian Michaels pills a few months ago, but used them once and they made me feel sick. So I started taking them over the weekend...but on a smaller dose then what they say. I think it seems like enough to make me not feel so hungry. Anybody have any suggestions for me. The BMI says I am within normal weight range, but says I am five lbs from being over-weight. Well I don't feel within normal range and don't look it for sure. I am just looking for maybe a little advice here. Not only do I want to lose 18 more lbs, but I want to be fit at 115, not just thinner!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Your BMI is in the normal range? Lucky you!

It's good that you catch the pounds you feel starting to pile on before it gets out of hand. Try not to get too worked up about it - you are of normal weight and you'd probably drop a dress size just taking a pilates class (for a few months) and still be in the normal weight range. Do you belong to a Y or a gym?

Resistance training or anything that strengthens your core is going to make you 'lean out' because your muscles will pull you up and make you stand taller (less 'slump'). Any weight loss would just be the low-cal icing on the cake and you wouldn't have to feel so driven to see a certain number on the scale!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there! A goal is a goal - catching yourself starting to feel badly before things got out of hand is a good thing, so congratulations.

For the most part, I agree with Kathy - if you're worried more about looking lean and fit and less about the number on the scale, adding in weight/resistance training will help your muscles get built underneath whatever fat you've put on. The numbers may go up a little with strict resistance-training, but that's just building muscle.

A pound is 3,500 calories. If you burn 500 calories more than you take in a day (through a mix of diet/exercise) you should lose about a pound a week. What might help you is taking a look at how much you're eating, what your basal metabolic rate is, and how much you're burning by exercise and figure out a plan that works for you, to get the body that you'd like to have. FitDay can help you with all of those numbers, and there are a lot of Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculators out there to aid you as well. Having guidelines like that might help you make a plan, and give you little goals to meet every day that put you in a positive direction.

Don't underestimate the value of drinking LOTS of water as well! At least your 8 servings (64 oz.) a day, and more if you'd like!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you...those replies are both filled with lots of good advice. I will have to look into the whole basal metabolic rate and caloric intake. I honestly don't know what my calories used to be. ALOT im certain as I would just snack and pick all day as well as eat three meals. I drank lots of pop and sweatened iced tea. I have totally cut out all the bad foods and drinks. And I am drinking lots of water, which isn't easy for me because I hate water, but I actually hate all the flavored vitamin waters more. So i'm just sticking with ice water. I was a late night snacker also as my kids and husband go to bed early...so im bored and lonely...so I will snack...big mistake I know. So I'm trying to cut that out...but that for me is the hardest part so far. I started today with a yogurt in the moring....1/2 turkey burger with cottage cheese for lunch...and going to have a salad for dinner. I will have to count those calories and see how much they are and do the metabolic rate thing like you said. If I post all that on here will you guys help me to decide if I'm doing the right things. Also, I know I am pretty strong. We live on a farm and I am pretty tough so I know I have muscles under that fat, but hopefully exercise and weight training will help to burn the fat and keep me toned. Do you agree with that? Thanks so much for the help. And you are right...I don't necessarily want to be a certain number and don't want to be skinny skinny like a used to be. But I want to be healthy and trim. and if 120 is that number then so be it...
Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're on the right track, and there will be help if you need it for posting your cals/BMR things like that. Another thing to look at is how much you're taking in of carbs/protein/fat as well. The balance of those seems to be a little different for everyone, but tweaking them can help - especially if you're trying to get a little more toned, you're going to be interested in how much protein you take in.

It's good to want to be HEALTHY and not obsessed with a number. You can do it!