Notices

The Healthy Community..continued

Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up The Healthy Community..continued

Time for a 'fresh' thread for the Healthy Community!

Everyone is welcome, please join us! Hope everyone is having a good on-track week. What are you eating lately? Discover any new, delicious, healthy foods?

I had Curried Chicken Breast and Steamed Red Cabbage with a touch of Cinnamon for dinner. Raw carrots on the side. It was delicious, very satisfying!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
FitDay Member

My find for the week was "Smart Fries"- Air popped potato sticks. They come in jalapeno and honey bbq. If you want to liven up the old taste buds the jalapeno will do it! The package says they are 80% less fat than potato chips. They are kind of like a cheese curl- light and fluffy (mostly air). 110 calories 1.5 grams of fat for 1/3 of a bag (1/3 of the bag is A LOT). I think I am hooked on them!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

Those sound good!! I will look for them! Spicy foods usually will cure the snack craving for me. Last night I had a few Triscuits and Louisianna hot sauce, with a hint of cheddar cheese, heated in the microwave for a snack.

Who was it that was taking Banjo lessons? Just wondering how that is going!

I am off to work out, then have a tea date with a friend. Planning meals later on today and making my grocery list.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

I have been hooked on the Quaker rice cake snacks. My favorite is the cheddar, they are like Cheetos or cheese popcorn in flavor, and 18 of them is 140 calories, that's half a plate full! I also found some whole grain sandwich rounds in the bread aisle, 100 calories each. I've swapped them out for bagels. I can have an ounce of real full fat cream cheese on one and it's only 200 calories but totally satisfies the bagel craving. A real bagel with cream cheese would be 350-450 calories and a lot less fiber. I can't give up my coffee but I am measuring out the sugar and creamer and slowly using less. Maybe someday I can learn to drink it black lol.

Hee hee-I eat Triscuit thin crisp nachos too lol. I measure out 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, add some black beans and salsa, and call it lunch : )

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 02-24-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Spicy sounds good

Shell;

Will you share the recipe for the cabbage with cinnamon? It sounds a bit unusal, that's what appealed to me, & I have a head of red cabbage I've just been eating as a salad, so the change would be appreciated.

Deanna;
I'll have to look for the Smart Fries I haven't seen them in my area, & I love anything with jalapeno. LOve the spice & heat. Lately I've been eating a roma tomato & jalepeno salsa by the 1/2 c. & counting it as a serving of veggies @ 30 calories. It's really tasty.

2 more days till weigh-in. Praying we all have good #'s.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

I am thinking about digging out my Weight Watchers papers, and trying to follow their plan. Just counting calories is just not working! I am probably eating too many carbs, and it is not taking any weight off. At least using the WW points plan I can keep better track of the carbs, proteins, dairy, etc. I will still log my food in here, I will be curious to see how the WW translates into calories.

My chiropractor, who is into the natural healing, suggested eating sourdough rye bread, or even just plain rye bread if you can't find the other, instead of the whole wheat, or as a change from the whole wheat. I got some, and it is really a nice change, especially toasted. Nutritionally it seems to be better than the whole wheat in some ways...less calories, more protein, less sugar. If you are looking for a change....try the rye bread.

I often eat Activia yogurt, and I am always torn between the regular or the low fat. What kind of yogurt do you guys eat?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 AM
FitDay Member

Kathie, I've been eating full fat, full sugar yogurt..but a really small serving with lots of fruit. The artificial sweeteners really bother me in the low fat yogurt. I've been eating rye bread lately too, I chose it because the slices are smaller, and thinner - and well, I like it! Glad to hear your chiro recommended the sour rye, I will look for that too. It sounds good.

Need2Lose, I don't have an official recipe for the cabbage. I just chopped up about 1/2 a head of cabbage and put that in a big pot, added a small amount of water, a tablespoon of vinegar, pepper, salt..the let it steam for a bit...then sprinkled on a touch of Cinnamon, tossed and voila! Red cabbage sort of turns blue when cooked, but that is what I had on hand so I wanted to use it up. Regular green cabbage works too. Mixing up my foods really keeps me on track for some reason.

Lizzy, I forgot about rice cakes - those are good! Putting them on my grocery list right now..
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up The best yogurt

My big find this week was Oikos fat free organic Greek yogurt. It's creamier and richer than full fat yogurt, I couldn't believe it was fat free! I bought the plain, you could buy it and just add whatever sweetener you wanted to add. It does come in lots of flavors but I'm in Phase 1 of South Beach and can't have fruit yet. This is the best source of fat free protein that I've ever encountered. It costs $3.70 a pound at Wal-mart.

Here's the nutritional break down:
Serving Size 1 cup (227g)

Calories 130
Total Fat 0g0%
Total Carbohydrate 9g3%
Protein 23g 46%
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Chobani makes a Greek yogurt, too. I swear by it because of the protein count. Also, nothing artificial in it.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
FitDay Member

What exactly is "Greek" yogurt and what makes it different than other kinds?

Deanna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.