Notices

Cereal and Bananas

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Cereal and Bananas

Good morning everyone...

I have been on a diet and workout plan for 8 weeks now. I have lost about 35 pounds. I have discussed on this forum how I feel I should have been losing more based on my calorie intake and exercise. And I seem to be becoming not regular as far as my output goes.

However, that is not what this is about. Everyday I have Frosted Mini Wheat cereal for breakfast with 2% milk and a banana. While it fills me up for the morning until I have an apple before lunch.

I am wondering if this is a good breakfast or if I should try something else.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to optimize my diet. I am a picky eater, so when I find something I like I can eat it all the time.

Does anyone know a good breakfast plan that is easy?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

I'd consider adding some protein.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Ratsmouth
I'd consider adding some protein.
And get rid of anything that's "Frosted"
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
And get rid of anything that's "Frosted"
I often do a bran flakes/milk/banana and yogart breakfast. It is pretty high in carbs. I lose more if I do a higher protein breakfast. The frosted shreddies are not too high calorie if you don't like plain cereal. Some of the enriched high fibre ones are way up there in calories.

When I'm in a hurry (such as this morning) I make my own version of a smooothie -- Blend a Raw Egg, 3/4 cup 1 % milk, 1/2 cup fruit, small yogart. Makes a nice drink and covers my protein. Much lower carbs.

One of my favourite easy to eat breakfast is "Eggs to Go" Scramble one or two eggs, add tomatos, feta, onions -- whatever you want and stuff into half a small pita. Simple, fast and great tasting.

Mary
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
I often do a bran flakes/milk/banana and yogart breakfast. It is pretty high in carbs. I lose more if I do a higher protein breakfast. The frosted shreddies are not too high calorie if you don't like plain cereal. Some of the enriched high fibre ones are way up there in calories.

When I'm in a hurry (such as this morning) I make my own version of a smooothie -- Blend a Raw Egg, 3/4 cup 1 % milk, 1/2 cup fruit, small yogart. Makes a nice drink and covers my protein. Much lower carbs.

One of my favourite easy to eat breakfast is "Eggs to Go" Scramble one or two eggs, add tomatos, feta, onions -- whatever you want and stuff into half a small pita. Simple, fast and great tasting.

Mary
I'd be more concerned with the white sugar that's the "frosted" part.

As for the high carbs, I try to stay with the complex carbs when I can.In my case, I try to eat most of my carbs in the morning ( I usually run 3-5 miles every other morning)- whether it's a bowl whole grain oatmeal with a banana or whole wheat pita bread stuffed with whole eggs or egg whites.

But that's just me, I've achieved my "target" weight and I'm doing more of a maintenance diet. My doctor has me testing every 3 months for cholesterol & glucose levels.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Garry, I've gotta agree--more protein. I used to love a nice bowl of cereal w/bananas (or blueberries) but it just burns off so fast for me I'd be hungry almost before I left the house. It sounds like you're doing OK till snack time, though so perhaps you don't burn carbs so fast.

There are some higher fiber, lower simple carb cereals you might try. The banana is great--lots of potassium and fiber. How about switching down to skim while were talking breakfast?

I think I've mentioned before that I found my weight loss is best when I keep my carbs under 40% so I almost always eat a high protein/fat breakfast (2 eggs and either 2oz of lean steak/turkey sausage/bacon).

As to your "output", sounds like some more fiber wouldn't hurt that, either. I eat four to eight prunes every night for dessert--they taste great and are packed with fiber and potassium. I also have a giant salad before supper most nights which also helps "keep things moving". Oh, and of course, more water.

Really, 35 lbs in 8 weeks isn't bad, but I think you can do better.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

I'd say at approx 4lb a week, your weight loss is excellent with what you're already doing, its easy enough to be talking about 'add protein' and 'cut sugar' but the facts are you enjoy that start to your day, it doesnt cause you to want more food half an hour later, it isn't hampering you at all to keep it just as you enjoy it.

and i'd be wary of changing it for something you'll enjoy less, it might make you look for treats elsewhere in your day. I also have a pleasant breakfast i know i could make it healthier but there's no value in taking out every pleasure, only the ones we cannot control.

you didn't mention how much cereal you are having.. are you somewhere near the right serving size or at least at a known calorific quantity for your breakfast?

I love those frosted wheats too.. they're great mixed half and half with honey-nut shreddies btw... yum yum... i'm like you, i can cope with a fun breakfast and still eat healthily the rest of the day.. so enjoy it. you're doing just fine (in my opinion)

Its only the ones who are losing weight by uncomfortable methods that have to worry how fast they are losing it (ie. before they give up).. we can also lose weight enjoyably and then it doesnt matter so much exactly how fast we lose it, as we can be quite happy to keep enjoying our healthy weightloss routines (with healthy little treats) until we get there.

the main thing is to keep it enjoyable, comfortable, relaxing, annnnnd healthy.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the response everyone...

It helps to have people with the personal experiences pass along valuable information.

I sometimes feel as though no matter what I do I can do something better to see better results. After everyones response, I just have to realize that I am doing a good job and just have to keep up what I am doing.

Frosted Mini Wheats 24 biscuits make a serving. I count them out specifically each Sunday and put them in individual snack zip lock baggies. So I am doing what the box says is a serving. I have switched to 1% milk this week. My co-worker suggested maybe the milk is making me have a bloated type feeling in the morning. I just don't know.

So I will keep doing what I am doing.

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

wow, that's a lot of sugar!!! I try to limit my fruit b/c of the sugar and the cereal doesn't help either.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Garry, there is ALWAYS something we could be doing better. I can list a number of things that I could do to lose weight faster. But, like you, I have found what works and what fits in with my lifestyle and thought processes. Really, weight loss is at least 90% a mental game, I think. Keep the brain happy and you'll do good for the long haul.

So if a nice bowl of mini wheats and fruit works for you, go for it!

Regards,
Michael

(If it stops working, though, some more protein wouldn't hurt).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.