Notices

Where do I start?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
FitDay Member

Default Where do I start?

so I guess I have a small yet reasonable goal get myself in better shape. loose like 30- 40 lbs. but where do I start? do you take a weight loss pill? what foods do I not eat anymore? I dont really eat that much to start with. as for exercise I have been upping that ( the dogs really appreciate it too!) you my have noticed my user name is cupcake... thats because I am a pastry chef so when I do get a chance to nom on something It is never really good for me. like a 3oz chocolate chip cookie! WANT WANT WANT. and how do I start drinking more water? I occasionally do drink soda, but i mostly drink watered down fruit juice, but I should drink plain water. what can I add to the water to make it taste appeasing. do you eat small things like 1000x a day? how much is to little/ to much? see I kinda need some help.

Thanks!

- Morgan
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 AM
FitDay Member

so I guess I have a small yet reasonable goal get myself in better shape. loose like 30- 40 lbs.
That doesn't seem like such a small goal to me! That's more of a long-term goal. In order to reach your long-term goal, you should set up several short-term goals to get you there. This will not only make your long-term goal more easily attained, but it will help you immensely by feeling like you've accomplished something each time you achieve a smaller goal.

do you take a weight loss pill?
I have never, ever, EVER taken pills to aid in weight loss and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it unless you've consulted a doctor and they think it would be beneficial. Most weight loss pills are either: a) complete BS and do nothing, or b) dangerous.

what foods do I not eat anymore?
Don't try and avoid foods you love. In the long run, you will feel deprived and have a binge session in which you eat said all of said foods at once. Try to eat as healthy as possible, but if a day should arise when you have a sudden craving, allow yourself a small -- keyword there being SMALL -- portion of whatever it is you've been hankering for. Besides, by eating a healthy diet the majority of the time, you'll find that your cravings constantly decrease. That's a big plus, isn't it?

I dont really eat that much to start with. as for exercise I have been upping that ( the dogs really appreciate it too!)
Be mindful of how much you actually are eating. If you're not eating enough, you can gain as much weight as if you were eating TOO much. Also, the more you exercise, the more food your body is going to require, because you're increasing your BMR (basal metabolic rate) by having a higher activity level -- in other words, the minimum amount of calories your body burns each day will increase.

how do I start drinking more water?
If you're not a water drinker, you may like to ease yourself in by flavouring your water with some natural fruit flavours. Don't buy the drink packets that mix in with water (like Crystal Light, for example), because even though they're low calorie, they're terrible for you! You could also try eating more water-based foods, like cucumbers and grapes.

do you eat small things like 1000x a day? how much is to little/ to much?
This is something that is going to vary from person to person and I encourage you to find what works best for you. Personally, I eat 6 small meals a day, but that won't work for everyone. For most people, that just gives them more opportunity to eat poorly, so sticking to bigger meals, 3x a day would work better. It also depends on your activity level and how often you need to refuel. As long as you're filling up on healthy things, it shouldn't be a problem, and your body will tell you when it's hungry. ALWAYS listen to your body.

As for what is too much or too little, write down everything you eat and log it on here. After a couple of weeks, reassess your weight and if there has been no change, you're going to have to take another look and modify your calories, as well as possibly where your calories are coming from (as the quality is actually more important than quantity in this situation).

I hope that helps somewhat. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the best way to start is to change nothing

Maybe start by taking a few days and just using FitDay to log your calories in your current lifestyle. See how many cals you're REALLY eating (maybe you feel like you're not eating much in quantity, but if it's packed with calories, you may surprise yourself). Be honest about what you're putting in your mouth (sauces, garnishes, drinks, alcohol, everything!) and just log it and see what your intake looks like. Each and every one of those cupcakes count!

Same with your activities -- see what your intake looks like compared to your burn. See what your carbs/fat/protein looks like. And then make an assessment.

Everyone is a little different in how they manage their weight loss, and what seems to work for their bodies.

If you find plain water to be blah, you can add some Crystal Light to it for flavor (only five calories) or other flavor additions -- just make sure you log them, too.

As for how much is too much/too little, that will depend on many things, like your height, gender, and age. Your basal calorie burn will be different than a man, for example, or a person who weighs a lot more or less than you do One pound = 3500 calories, give or take. So to lose one pound a week, you need to take in 500 calories less than you burn a day, through diet, exercise, or a combination of both. To lose two pounds a week, you need to take in 7,000 less than you burn. Etc.

Those are some starting numbers and ideas, I hope you find them helpful!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

okay sounds like a plan. I have been trying to eat better for a bout 2 weeks so I am kinda starting to get the hang of it, I guess. I am currently about 185lbs as per wii fit. and I am 5'7 I used to be 5'9 but apparently I am shrinking! as per exercise I do a 5k on the treadmill every morning, except sunday . ( I will be running my first actual 5k on the 23rd) The dogs get walked a minimum of 1 mile a night. I am only 20 so hopefully the transition to an active lifestyle will be easier that I am young. Oh and I am also joining the softball team at work and will be doing that on Tuesday nights. as for calorie intake I am trying to eat small reasonable meals that are about 500 calories a piece. its just hard to find time for more then 2 meals a day. breakfast and dinner. and I know that 1000 calories cant be healthy. like you said I still have to fuel myself. so re-learning how to eat is a priority. and what should I do If I eat a reasonable meal ( say roasted chicken pizza flatbread with applesauce and water ) and am still hungry? do I not eat anymore... should I wait a bit and see if I am still hungry?

thank you both for the input.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

oh and another thing, I don't want to focus so much on Oh I have lost this much or Haven't. I am pretty confident that if I eat right and exercise that the weight loss will just come with it. And omg kyle is sitting on the couch eating like a horse! he said I finished off the combos, had some goldfish, and am now on to the pepperoni. Ugh it must be nice to eat what ever you want while your fiance is trying so dang hard to get into shape. though I guess I told him when I started I am starting this you can join me if you wish but I am not going to torture you with diet foods. you can have as much bacon as your heart desires I am gunna stick with turkey.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 AM
FitDay Member

i need to eat more bananas I love them... why don't I ever have them in the house?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

I never use to like water a whole lot until I started drinking it through a straw and ice cold...now I love it any way, that is all I drink besides my two cups of coffee in the morning
Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 AM
FitDay Member

okay so baised off of yesterday and I logged EVERYTHING. I ate about 1,133 calories and burned 3,200 so I guess I have to start eating a lot more...
Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cupcake1906
okay so baised off of yesterday and I logged EVERYTHING. I ate about 1,133 calories and burned 3,200 so I guess I have to start eating a lot more...
1200 seems to be considered the "safe" minimum calorie intake for women--if you're comfortable at that level, why eat more? Of course you need to make sure you're getting all your nutrients from the food and/or supplements and sufficient protein so you don't lose too much muscle. Just a thought--not a recommendation or anything.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

well I take a 1 a day vitamin, and have try to have one carnation instant breakfast thing once a day. ( it has loads of protein and vitamins) other then that I guess I just eat normally.