Holding on to hope >

Holding on to hope

Community
Notices

Holding on to hope

Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Holding on to hope

I just joined the site and it looks very encouraging. I have 10-20# to drop. While maybe not a huge amount, I have also been battling with depression. So the benefits are multifaceted. If i loose weight i feel better about myself, improving my mood. I am an emotional eater. Also the exercise will boost my endorphins and decrease the depression. But as any of you with depression know, getting moving is the hardest part. I am hoping with the tools of this site to get on the road to recovery.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome to FitDay and the forums!

I don't have depression but several family members do. Congrats to you for deciding to lose your excess weight--I bet it will help change your whole outlook.

If you need any help with the site or have any questions, just let us know.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome Kimbur.
There is all kinds of support here - just ask. BUT it will still take some work on your part. Hope is great, now hope needs to be translated into action.

For many of us depression stems from a feeling of lack of control over our lives. It looks like you have decided to take back that control - Excellent!

Just remember to take one step forward every day. There may be days when it is really, really tough. And there may be days when one step forward is followed by a couple steps back. That's OK. Just get up the next day and step forward again.

You can do it!

BTW the number of total pounds really doesn't matter. Everyone starts the same, with 1 pound followed by another, it is just that some folks reach their goals a little sooner than other.
Pam
Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Kimbur,

I just started with FitDay about 3 weeks ago myself. I've battled with depression personally for about 18 years now. Being heavy and not feeling good don't help that in the least. It's a battle that I am pretty sure I will have for the rest of my life. However, I have good days most of the time now. The two things that have been biggest in making that change for me was recognizing that depression is a medical condition and finding a support system. My family and friends have done so much for me just by being available and understanding.

Good for you for making changes in your life! The one thing I can suggest more than anything else is to build a support system. Depression lies to us. It makes us think we're not worth it and no one understands. That's just not true. Losing weight isn't easy either and having folks who understand the work you are doing will make it go down better. From what I've seen of the forums, there is a very positive vibe here. It's an excellent place to start for support.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for all the replies and support.

I am doing my best to put the plan into action. I made it to the gym today. Something i haven't done in a long time. So one day at a time :-)
Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kimbur96
thanks for all the replies and support.

I am doing my best to put the plan into action. I made it to the gym today. Something i haven't done in a long time. So one day at a time :-)
Excellent! How did you feel about yourself (and the world) while you were there and once you were done?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Excellent! How did you feel about yourself (and the world) while you were there and once you were done?
actually I felt proud that i made it there to work out. And it made me pretty happy for the rest of the day
Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Wonderful!
Try to keep that feeling in mind everytime you think about going to the gym. As hard as it is to get started sometimes, just remember how great you will feel when you are finished.

As a runner, there are definitely some days when the last thing I want to do is head out the front door for a run. But I know that once I get going, I will always feel better. Even on those days when I just don't have it in me to actually run, I will at least go for a walk and know that tried.

Keep it up Kimbur!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Wonderful!
Try to keep that feeling in mind everytime you think about going to the gym. As hard as it is to get started sometimes, just remember how great you will feel when you are finished.

As a runner, there are definitely some days when the last thing I want to do is head out the front door for a run. But I know that once I get going, I will always feel better. Even on those days when I just don't have it in me to actually run, I will at least go for a walk and know that tried.

Keep it up Kimbur!
thanks for the encouragement. I made it to the gym again last night. so yippe for me

it's nice to hear how you and others get thru their lack of motivation. Especially runners. I guess i hold runners above the rest and picture them as this perfectly motivated, smiley lets go run, kind of people. For myself i have never been a successful runner. I ran track in jr high, and cross country but that is many years ago. As an adult i just never got to where i enjoyed running.I wish i did, it is a very efficient way to loose weight.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Talking Now you are just cracking me up!

Originally Posted by kimbur96
I guess i hold runners above the rest and picture them as this perfectly motivated, smiley lets go run, kind of people. For myself i have never been a successful runner.
I can't say that I've met every runner on the planet, but I haven't met one yet that didn't have one of those days when the thought of 1 more long run brought tears to their eyes. Yeah, I've seen plenty of smiley runners... after they are finished with the run !

"the reason I run??? it feels so good when I stop"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.