Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Ouch!  I'm sore today.  Why it's this way is a funny story >

Ouch! I'm sore today. Why it's this way is a funny story

Notices

Ouch! I'm sore today. Why it's this way is a funny story

Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ouch! I'm sore today. Why it's this way is a funny story

I go to the YMCA and exercise daily. Walk the treadmill then do the weight machines, elypticals, stair climber, whatever I'm in the mood for once I do my expected routine.

Yesterday there was a rather round man there that I had not seen before. The room was not crowded and there were just a few of us working out. So lots of machines were available without waiting for everyone there.

This man comes up to the machine I'm on and gets very close to my face and says "When are you going to be done? I've got things to do." Mind you an identical machine is unused next to mine. I said "When I'm no longer using this, you'll know I'm finished with it." So he goes to another woman and asks her when she's going to be done with her machine. She gets off and gets on the one next to her and resumes her workout.

So the guy comes up to me while I'm doing the crunch machine. He says "I need to use this." I jokingly said, "I hear that. We all need this one for sure."
So he starts tapping his foot impatiently waiting for me to get off the machine. Then I got a little stubborn. So I stayed on. He'd think I was done, and I'd go longer. I know. I was a brat.

Well, I dropped 3.2 pounds from yesterday. My abs are sore, but not horrifically sore. I don't know what was wrong with that guy but it pushed me to do more than I would have.

Maybe obnoxious people will be what pushes me to my physical limit. I like the weightloss provided someone's not going to walk in with a gun and go postal on the place because people are using the machines.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

That is a funny story. So what you really need for motivation is an obnoxious personal trainer, preferably rotund and male and quite possibly in need of medication?

One time when I was at the gym there was a woman who came in slightly after me and sort of followed me through the machines. Anyway I didn't realize that she was trying to leave the weights the same and lift what I typically do, until she started screaming on the leg press. It went something like this "ahhhh, omg, omg, omg, how in the hell did you lift this?". So being the sarcastic woman that I am, I told her that I was just warming up and would she like to spot me for the more serious lifts.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 AM
FitDay Member

lol.
You guys are hilarious.

And yea that guy was a major jerk!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

What a trip! I guess it takes all kinds. I can't imagine asking someone if they were DONE! haha I'm glad he DROVE you to do more.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

My hunch is that the guy is very routinized, if not OCD, and a particular machine is "comfortable" for him because it's the same one he uses every time. If that's the case, there's not a lot he can do about it, but hounding people to get at "your" machine is still pretty rude. People are just plain strange, I gotta say.

Some people don't have the first clue about what they're doing in a weight room, don't understand the concept of building muscle gradually, etc. I used to run into this with some guys when I was a recreation worker. They'd come into the gym, want to show me that they could press the maximum weight ONCE, and then they'd quit. Couldn't get it through their heads that it's repetition over an extended period that builds muscle, and I wasn't terribly impressed that they could do ONE rep of anything. Heck, at the time, I could probably have pressed the same weight they were. Doofuses! LOL!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM
FitDay Member

strange man. i have felt uncomfortable when it's obvious someone is waiting for equipment i'm using. when the shoe is on the other foot I go and the something else or change the order of my workout around to avoid the hassle (my fiance tells me i am too unassertive)
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 AM
FitDay Member

He needs the guy at my gym. On seated Ab machine for thighs he is bouncing... hold on...10 pounds between his knees, holding the channel changer and and NOT moving until the show is done. Then he goes to the Ad version and does the same thing.

He got a little better. He was doing Ads. I got on the Ab. Smacked out my lifts of 90 lbs X 10 reps [3 sets] and went off to do something else til the princess was done with the show. I am not going to call him the prince. That requires more work.

He got on the Ab. I shot on the Ad and realized he had tried 90 lbs and discoverd his fat butt could NOT lift anywhere near it for 1 rep. So he was at 30 pounds but he wasn't bouncing it either. He also finished the show.

And he wiped each machine down. I have NO clue why. He wasn't sweating at all. I was dripping. He looked like he walked out of the Freezer at the local store.

Pretty bad when a fat [over 300 lbs], old [52], woman can beat the daylights out of you and you are only 25.

Now see in my case I would suddenly start timing my reps for a 2 minute rest in between and do 4 sets with a 3 minute rest in between sets. If he distracted me I would look at him and say "Oh dear. Now I don't remember where I was. I have to start ALL over again."

I am the Queen of Passive Aggressive when I want to pull it out. I can move slower than Molasses frozen. My mother taught me well. I'm everything that Type A "Hurry up" made me.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

I mostly workout at home but when I go to my gym the guys are usually pretty cool even though I am ALWAYS the only female in the heavy weight gym, they know I am serious and that I know what I am doing.

But one time there was this one guy who knew I was waiting. He made a big show of preparing and then pulling. Grunting and "oh man'ing" the whole time. I managed to load, do 3 sets and unload for 3 different lifts by the time he was done.

I was mad enough to throw another 10lb on what he had lifted. Pawned him, on this, in front of 1/2 the gym including his buddies watching!

I was in severe pain the next day but it was soooo worth it!

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercis...extension2.jpg