Notices

Finding time?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default Finding time?

Any other crazy busy moms or dads out there having a really hard time fitting exercise into their schedule? I just don't know what to do. I work 7-4 then pick up the kids rush home cook and eat supper. Bedtime for them is 8 so after supper we sqeeze in homework, games, baths, together time and then off to bed for them. except my daughter (3) doesn't like to stay in bed so I fight with her for 1 1/2 hours almost every night to get her to stay in bed. My plan was to do a tape after they went to bed at 8 so thats not happening with her not going to bed and staying there. I already get up @ 5 every morning to get ready for work so I can't get up much earlier or I might as well not go to bed. My DH works nights 5pm-2:30 or 4:00am So he's not home to help with bedtime drama anymore. I just don't know what to do other then tie her into her room at night. Not an option. If it were warmer we'd go out after supper and walk or play at the park or something but I'm just stuck. Anybody got any helpful ideas? Please...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default Wish I had an easy answer!

That's a toughie. However, I applaud you for wanting to fit it all in there. You know what "they" say...make it an appointment and keep it like you would any other.

So...let's see. Can you walk on your lunch hour? Do you have an office? I work with someone who just came back from maternity leave and she just shuts her door at lunch time and does pilates and works with a fitness ball for half an hour. Could you keep a couple of weights around and do some exercises during lunch or breaks?

No, tying your daughter in her room is not an option. How to get her to stay in bed is a whole other issue for which this isn't the time or place, but, given that she is going to get up anyway, could you explain to her that the next half hour is "Mommy time" and that you have to do your "homework"? Maybe agree to let her lie on the couch while you do your exercise and tell her that her job is to either (a) be perfectly quiet or (b) cheer you on (whichever seems more reasonable)? Or is there something she could entertain herself with in her room if she's not ready to go to sleep?

My only other thought is to move whenever you can find time to. I have been known to put on the iPod the day before Thanksgiving and dance at the stove while making 10 loaves worth of stuffing...about an hour and a half. Can you do bicep curls while supervising homework? What about weekends; do you have some time there to do an hour block? Would your kids exercise with you during your "together" time?

Sadly, you can't put extra hours in the day, and you can't stay up all night. But there has to be some time, if you're creative. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with what Cassie says she's already up anyways. Will she stay on the couch while you do a tape? Walk during part of your lunch hour is a great option. Today for example i brought my bands & did my strength training at work here, plus i do walking lunges while pictures are scanning. it all adds up.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys. I might be able to get the kids to do some tape with me I'll have to try. I'd probably wind up laughing on the floor more then exercising though. She's too young to just sit still on the couch since she's only 3 she doesn't understand mommy time to much yet. I'll tetll her I'm in time out and she needs to stay in her room until I get out of time out though. Hey that's a pretty good idea I'll try that one tonight. On the weekends I should have more time to try to sneak in a workout. I work retail so I can walk on my lunch hour and we already know that 4 laps of the store is a mile or a smidge over. When the weather gets nice it'll be easier to get out on my lunch hour also as our college has a walking track and it's only a few blocks from the store. Thanks again guys!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 AM
FitDay Member

HGB,

The other replies say exactly what I was going to suggest about doing your best to involve or at least let your little one know that you need to do some time for your exercise. I think this is great for her to see as well, so that she knows from an early age that exercise is important! She might even join you.

I just wanted to add that it's great that you're doing this! I made the mistake of waiting until my kids were older before I started working exercise into my routine. It was easier from the perspective of not needing to watch them every second, but harder because it had been so long since I'd last used the muscles in any real way. Wow, it took some time to get used to that!

Anyway, the only thing I can add is something it took me a while to learn: don't "find" time to do this, "make" time. I hope that doesn't sound too silly, I know it's just semantics, but especially for us moms ... we need to make our health a priority. Not something fit when when soccer practice gets rained out or whatever.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

oh just another quick thought. this has to do with meal prep. do you do bulk cooking? on the weekend make double the meals. have the crock pot going with healthy stews, soups etc. cook up a couple of chickens. cook a big batch of rice, potatoes or whatever you are eating on your plan. that way when you come home dinner is mostly done steam some veggies quick salad & voila. that's what i find helps me. cooking in bulk as much of possible.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

thanks guys. well I managed to get a walk video done. Little madison was right next to me the whole time telling me to march it was hillarious to see this 3 year old tring to do step kicks and kick backs. We got done and she wanted to do it again. So I may have solved that problem. Now if it would only make her tired so she'd stay in bed. hhmmmm. maybe we should have done the 2 mile walk. lol! thanks again. I'm doing my best to make time and make myself a priority. It's hard cause I've always put them and my husband first. I've always just managed to get by. But I'm doing better. I think my honeymmon phase of losing excess water weight is about over I'm afraid. I have lost 7 pounds in 5 days though. I'll keep trudging along.