Notices

Restart: 5-15lb club

Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Restart: 5-15lb club

Hi Ladies,

I hope no one thinks this is presumptive but after 1729 posts and over 64,000 views in the orginal thread, several people have suggested that maybe it was time to begin again.

So why the heck is it so hard to lose those last few pounds? Got any tips to share? Or maybe just want to vent on the unfairness of the universe being so close to your "ideal" weight, and yet so far away. This is your spot.

Pam

Last edited by RunbikeSki; 03-24-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
FitDay Member

Hey, I'm in!

And thanks for setting up this new thread -- it is difficult to wade through all the old posts -- nice to get a fresh start.

OK, there are simple scientific answers as to why it is hard to shed those last few pounds.

Here's what i think:

(#1) In general, it takes a lot more calories to keep a larger body mass operating - breathing, replacing old cells, moving, etc. As you get smaller, it takes fewer calories.

Think about it...it takes a lot more fuel to drive a big heavy car a certain distance than it does for a small compact economy car - right? And a large adult needs more calories than a 3 year old kid - right?

(#2) Ok, then there is the "motivational" reason ... when you were heavier, you'd do anything to get thinner. Now that you are "thinner" and everyone tells you how great you look -- you can see in photographs that you look better -- and you've been SOOOO GOOD for SOOO LONG -- it's easy to not be as careful. Whereas several pounds ago you'd be very strict with yourself, now - not so strict, sometimes!

Anyway, that's my two sense worth!

Any other ideas?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey Juliet,
I think you are on to something with the second item! It's kind of a weird mind game where, yes I'd really like to lose those last few pounds, but hey I'm lookin' pretty good now so do I really want to work that hard?

And yes it seems so totally unfair to me that the smaller you get, the less you get to eat!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
FitDay Member

I'm waiting for the 'I'm skinnier so I shouldn't have to feel like I should eat a lot,' but all I want are carbs. I do like the way I feel and look, but god these last 15 pounds are hard work!

Unfortunately food has gotten kind of boring for me, so I feel that it is even harder for me to not go out and eat or not buy that candy bar (which I did last night), which just brings me down.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
FitDay Member

It seems like I've had the same fifteen or twenty pounds I've been fighting for years. I want to lose fifteen pounds. How do I win this time?

Ace of Curls, I feel your pain. I get bored with the same foods quickly. I was "good" for a while then yesterday I ate pizza chocolate and just too much in general. Now I have a huge tummy ache (and a huge tummy.) I should know better by now.

Height: 5'5"
Current weight: 140
Goal: 125

Last edited by canary52; 03-24-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 PM
FitDay Member

These last 10 or so pounds are really attached to me. I think it's because they've been a part of my life for so many years.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
It seems like I've had the same fifteen or twenty pounds I've been fighting for years. I want to lose fifteen pounds. How do I win this time?
Originally Posted by nottango
These last 10 or so pounds are really attached to me. I think it's because they've been a part of my life for so many years.
I can relate to both of those statements! I am struggling to lose weight as well but frustrated because it's the same pounds! I lose it and then gain it back. I can't seem to stick to calorie counting for that reason - It's not something that I could maintain long term so I would eventually gain back the weight unless I find another tactic. I am trying to learn to eat better and less in general but the lack of progress makes me start counting and cutting calories to what appears to be an unrealistic amount for me so I don't stick with it long. Basically I am throwing a fit after a pair of jeans or whatever doesn't fit. Yep, I am a mess.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by anderson02
I can relate to both of those statements! I am struggling to lose weight as well but frustrated because it's the same pounds! I lose it and then gain it back. I can't seem to stick to calorie counting for that reason - It's not something that I could maintain long term so I would eventually gain back the weight unless I find another tactic. I am trying to learn to eat better and less in general but the lack of progress makes me start counting and cutting calories to what appears to be an unrealistic amount for me so I don't stick with it long. Basically I am throwing a fit after a pair of jeans or whatever doesn't fit. Yep, I am a mess.
You just described my situation perfectly. I start calorie counting but can't stick to it. Same thing with diets.

And while I may not throw a fit when the jeans don't fit, I definitely throw the jeans into a big pile with all the other stuff that's too tight. And since I don't want to go out and buy clothes in the bigger size, I resort to my bigger, older stuff which makes me feel dowdy.

We are not a mess. We are human. And we will figure this out, right?

Last edited by canary52; 03-25-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, it's hard. I thought I finally manage to break the plateu but it keep bumping up and down around it. Am I have another plateu? Not really.
I need to do more work out and control eating. But it is so hard. I love to eat out, but they contain so much of the bad stuff and I don't have the willpower to controll myself.
So sad.
Mai
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi all,
Well today is our 25th anniversary so I'm going to cut myself a break. DH has been soooo complimentary recently ("half the girl I married" type thing that just makes me glow ) that I almost feel guilty telling him that next week it is back to the stricter food routine.

I have 5 weeks to go until my 1 year anniversary of reaching my 30lb lost goal (140lb). I have lost almost 10 more since then, and am aiming for 125lbs, ultimately.

I would LOVE to bethere by the 1yr. But as we all know how tenacious those last lingering pounds are!

I keep meaning to put my stats in my signature like so many of you do, but I'm waiting for just the right photo/avatar .

Pam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.