Notices

New bathroom scale

Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default New bathroom scale

okay- so I just got a new scale because the old one makes a snap carckle and pop when I step on (i've had it for years). The old one also weigh .6lbs off (it weighs my 30lb weights 30.6lbs). My new scale weighs me over a pound less. What number should I go by? Is it silly that I am this scared of going by the new scale only to find out it's wrong someday? I think I'm being ridiculous now that I type this out, but I'd appreciate opinions regardless...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM
FitDay Member

If it makes you feel any better, I have a scale in the upstairs bathroom, a Wii Fit Plus (which takes your weight) and I also use the scale at the gym. I never weigh the same on all three of them. The one that weighs me the lightest is the one in the bathroom, so of course I like that one best. What does your new scale weigh the 30 pound weight at? If the new scale seems to be more accurate go by that one. The reason I use the one at the gym is because it is a "balance" type scale, where you have to slide the little weights around until the arm teeters on the red line. Those are probably the most accurate scales, and that particular one is calibrated pretty much everyday by the gym staff. It's just a number honey, ain't nothing to be afraid of.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 AM
FitDay Member

I have three scales at home and one at the gym, all four give me a different weight. That's because they are instruments as any other instrument are calibrated over a measure.
Choose one and stick with it. The new or the old doesn't change a thing, it's not the 0.6lbs that will make a difference in the long run. A big glass of water could weight enough to make you weight 0.6lbs more, don't make a trouble of it, it's not. Just choose one.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
FitDay Member

I think my bathroom floor has little hills and valleys in it because I can weigh myself at three or four different spots in the bathroom and get a couple different weights. I take a rough average if I'm getting a lot of values, but if I get a majority weight, that's the one I use. I only lose a pound a week, if that even, so I know the importance of every pound, but try not to sweat it if I can't get an accurate read.

I look at little things...like how I don't suck in my gut when I'm walking around anymore. That tells me my clothes fit and I feel good in them! Good enough for me.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
FitDay Member

thanks guys! yeah- i'm just gonna go with the new one. I suppose I should weigh myself at the gym, but I only see very thin girls doing that, and it makes me self conscious.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default New Bathroom Scale

Yesterday I bought a new scale because I really didn't have a reliable one to use when I wanted to. I had been weighing in at the doctor's office, but hate to bug the nurses there to let me use their scale. SO...the new scale registers my current weight at 230.6, and I'm setting that as my current FitDay weight. The doctor's scale a week or two ago indicated 240, but if I'm going to be using one scale to track progress, I think it should be trusted. (Not that I think I've lost almost 10 pounds in two weeks!) One of the scales is "off". I'm just hoping my new one is consistent.

I have been watching my calories and exercising religiously every day, and I probably have lost SOME weight since the doctor's office weigh-in. In any case, I discovered hipbones and a couple of ribs the other morning, and they didn't belong to the dog.

Anyway, having the new scale at home gives me some encouragement to keep going, now with additional feedback re: progress.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

I don't have a scale at home either. They have a digital scale at work that we are using for our weight loss challenge. It is there all the time so I will continue to use it once the challenge is over. I am a terrible scale person. I will weigh myself quite often if there is one available. So this way I will not be so tempted because it is at someone else's desk they will know when I use it. She is the weight recorder for our challenge also so I don't feel weird if she sees my weight.

By the way...I am sure that you did lose some weight if you are noticing bones you didn't before. Maybe not an exact amount based on two different scales but congrats anyway!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Ratsmouth

I discovered hipbones and a couple of ribs the other morning, and they didn't belong to the dog.
LOL Thanks for the giggle. Mary
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. I like to weigh myself, but not daily, since there's some perverse force in the universe that makes you weigh more one day/less the next/more the next. Also, when you hit a plateau, daily weights are discouraging. I weigh about once a week, even with the scale in my bedroom.

Yeah, I'm sure I've lost SOMETHING in the past two weeks. If not, that same perverse force is REALLY out to get me! I'll know I'm doing really well when my dimples disappear. My mom and her friends used to think they were cute when I was a kid, but when I got out of college, I weighed 128 lb. (5'8")...so no more dimples! I'll be very happy when the needle shows I'm out of the obese range and merely overweight! Sheesh. The other thing is that my dad and his mother both developed diabetes later in life, and I want to beat that rap.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM
FitDay Member

On the topic of scales, i have one at home that is really basic and isn't very precise. I'd like scales that i can be sure are accurate and show me the small increments of weight loss.... can anyone suggest a brand of scales or what features i should look for in scales?? I don't really want to pay more than $50....

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.