Notices

Group Challenge/Support Option

Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Group Challenge/Support Option

I've wholeheartedly recommended FitDay to several people over the years (although, admittedly, I've not been as good about using it myself, but that's MY problem, not FitDay's... but I digress.)

I have a group of friends who all want and need to get healthier and lose a few (or a lot of) pounds. We missed out on signing up for a Boy Scout Leader challenge in our area, so we're going to do our own challenge. I've seen other sites where you can create a group challenge (e.g., weightlosswars.com), and we could probably use one of those and then use FitDay for better tracking, but it would be much nicer if we could do it all in one place.

-Carla
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by coppertwins
I've wholeheartedly recommended FitDay to several people over the years (although, admittedly, I've not been as good about using it myself, but that's MY problem, not FitDay's... but I digress.)

I have a group of friends who all want and need to get healthier and lose a few (or a lot of) pounds. We missed out on signing up for a Boy Scout Leader challenge in our area, so we're going to do our own challenge. I've seen other sites where you can create a group challenge (e.g., weightlosswars.com), and we could probably use one of those and then use FitDay for better tracking, but it would be much nicer if we could do it all in one place.

-Carla
Hi Carla ,

I think if you are making it a chalange that not easy for everyone . Because the first one can lose weight easy the other not . So i think that it have to be very diffecult to make it a chalange
Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

That's why I said challenge or group support. In group support, you are accountable to the rest of the members of your group. You can currently make your FitDay profile visible to friends, but you can only go look at them one at a time.

In a group setup, ideally you could see everyone's progress stats on one page, and how they're meeting whatever goals they've set for themselves, and how the group is succeeding overall. Perhaps a running forum for encouragement, etc.

A challenge between friends can make it a little more fun if that's your personality. A prize at the end, even if it's just a token item or monetary amount, is still rewarding to many people.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, If you check the weight loss tips forum, we have an ongoing 6 week weigh in. We start a new 6 weeks this Friday if you and your friends would like to join. I have a spreadsheet that I keep track of everyone's weight on and then post the results. I will start a new thread on Friday for anyone to join. Just post your starting weight and weigh in every Friday.

Deanna
Old 02-22-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by coppertwins
That's why I said challenge or group support. In group support, you are accountable to the rest of the members of your group. You can currently make your FitDay profile visible to friends, but you can only go look at them one at a time.

In a group setup, ideally you could see everyone's progress stats on one page, and how they're meeting whatever goals they've set for themselves, and how the group is succeeding overall. Perhaps a running forum for encouragement, etc.

A challenge between friends can make it a little more fun if that's your personality. A prize at the end, even if it's just a token item or monetary amount, is still rewarding to many people.
If you check the posts you can find support group
Old 03-29-2010, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

FYI, I've set up a Facebook group for my friends, we're doing a $5/week challenge. Everyone doing the challenge chips in $5 week - this week's pot is worth $40. Provides a nice incentive, and with only a dozen or so people in it, you've got a good chance of winning one of the pots.

The winning criteria each week will rotate around to keep things interesting - from a weekly weight loss, total weight loss, inches lost, BMI percentage lost, number of minutes exercised, etc.

I'm promoting using FitDay or other tracking journals (some already were using WW or something else). They do their weigh-ins using a form I created on Google Docs, and then we use the FB page for discussions and info to share. An ad-hoc solution, but it works!